Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 03, 2020, 10:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Crate G130C Amp  (Read 247 times)

Sara2020

• Chipper
  • Chip Points: 0
    • View Profile
Crate G130C Amp
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
 Hi Everyone, I have a Crate G130C Amp that I bought new in in the mid 90's. At some point I started having an issue with the Amp where the output sound would fade out. If it would cool down, it would temporarily start working again. I sent the Amp in to SLM Electronics / Crate, in St Louis, Missouri and they fixed the issue. It worked fine for many years but has developed the same problem again. As you probably know, they have went out of business. I took the circuit board out of the Amp and have replaced a few resistors that had split open from overheating,but that didn't fix the main problem. I recently found the paperwork that SLM Electronics sent me when they repaired the Amp before. It says that they had replaced a "Leaky Zener Diode for the low voltage power supply"  They unfortunately didn't put a part number for the Zener Diode on the invoice. I have ran across the schematics for this Amp but I can't tell where the Zener Diode is for the low voltage power supply. Could someone please help direct me to where the Zener Diode is located on the circuit board?

Jazz P Bass

• Elite
  • Chip Points: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Crate G130C Amp
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 11:51:25 AM »
Piease post the relevant schematic.
You really should test the power supply before assuming the failure mode is the exact same.

Enzo

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
And the factory doesn't need to be there, ANY competent amp tech can repair this.  I bet you have a local shop.

I surely wouldn't assume the same zener needs replacement.  It MIGHT of course, but frankly it is more likely your FX loop jacks have dirty contacts.

g1

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 78
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
schematics/service manual attached.

Jazz P Bass

• Elite
  • Chip Points: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:51:35 AM »
To answer the posts question, here is a crop of the power amp board locating D16 (+16Vdc) and D17 (-16Vdc)

phatt

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 257
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 02:14:45 AM »

Quote;
* At some point I started having an issue with the Amp where the output sound would fade out.*
Then,,
Have you checked your FX loop? a common cause of intermittent signal drop out.
Phil.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:16:26 AM by phatt »