Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Randall RG100ES Guru's take a look!

Started by Kizzlecake, January 16, 2014, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzlecake

I have a RG100HT, RG100ES, RG80-112SC and a RGT100ES and all of them make an overly noticeable amount of white noise when you plug effects into the loop. As soon as a plug goes into the effect send actually. I have a rack mount power conditioner that everything is ran through and it is less noticeable with an effects pedal(boss ge-7) as opposed to a rack mount piece(Alesis Quadraverb, Rane pe15, BBE sonic maximizer). If I run it through my Hush IIC I can get alot of the noise out but only if the gate is cranked all the way up.  The only other amp I have to check these against is a tubeworks power amp which makes no noise but also has no loop because its a power amp. My next step is going to be to make my own cable set for the rig. Aside from that, maybe the grounds in the house I live in are garbage. Also if I plug any of the effects in, in front of the amp there are no problems. The sound of the eq in the loop as opposed to in front is better imo so I would like to figure this out. I'm missing something. I find it hard to believe 4 different RG series randalls would do the same exact thing. Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Kizzlecake

I forgot to add the noise is present with nothing in the loop, just not as bad. The loop amplifies it.

g1

Try putting a patch cord from send to return.  Is it noisier than without the patch cord in the loop?

Kizzlecake

I read about doing that and didnt think to try.  I will do that when I get home.  thanks for the suggestion

Kizzlecake

ok, finally got a chance to try it and no dice. Same results. Soon as you turn it on it has a hum in the speaker.

J M Fahey

J M Fahey

Mmmmmhhhhhh , I asked (and still not sure what you mean) because you originally described it as "white noise" .
Please record and post it, with all controls on 0.

Also show how noise appears when you plug an effect into the send jack, with nothing plugged in the return one.

Kizzlecake

g1

Quote from: Kizzlecake on January 19, 2014, 08:18:42 PM
ok, finally got a chance to try it and no dice. Same results. Soon as you turn it on it has a hum in the speaker.
But what does it do to the noise level (when you have patch cord from send to return)?  Is the noise worse than without the cord in the loop?

Kizzlecake

little or no change.  the problem gets worse if you plug in a rack mount component (i.e.  alesis quadraverb or rane pe 15)

g1

Then it is the effects unit that is introducing the noise.  That is why you get the same problem with the other amplifiers also.
  But you said it happens with various different effects units so it may just be the way you have the levels set up for the loop.

phatt

Agree with G1,, you simply have way to much gain in the wrong place.
Common problem,, I actually hate efx loops especially series types :-X
You would be better served by plugging EFX in the front end of amp.
Efx loops might look hi teck but they introduce a whole stack of gotchraz if you don't know about gain and where to use it.
Phil.

Kizzlecake

I could see that being the issue.  Makes sense,  problem is wanting to utilize the loop because the eq sounds better in the loop than in the front(minus the noise of course).  I have been running a wet dry setup and maybe just gonna have to run that with everything out front unfortunately.  Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

phatt

I own a Quadverb also,, And well aware of how easy it is to dial in too much gain.
add hi gain Amplifier front end and it close to useless at efx loop.
Phil.