Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

Recent Posts

 

Another science 🧪 project

Started by saturated, Today at 12:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturated

I know I really need an amp in need of repair.  Trust me ive been looking.

Anyhow I was flipping through a book looking for something cool and there is an experiment for creating and then abating crossover distortion.

Here is the plagiarised schematic

You cannot view this attachment.

Ensuing rats 🐀🐁 nest

You cannot view this attachment.

I managed to throw this together pretty quickly and to my astonishment it worked.  They called for 2.2 uf electrolytics the closest I had was 3.3 uf

I didn't even measure the input I just increased it from zero and BAM there it was on the output

You cannot view this attachment.

My instructions are to learn about the existing phenomena then take steps to cleanup the output by
-replacing one of the 1k resistors with a variable resistor
-replace both 1k resistors with diodes

But before I do that I need to try and grasp what's going on here  :grr  :lmao:

I cheated and read a little seems like biasing is the main deal here I'm gonna measure the Vbe on each transistor at present and see what's up
Here in 1994
Things are different than before

saturated

Hmm this might be over pretty quick

Maybe they are just trying to demonstrate that if you don't have enough forward voltage then stuff isn't gonna work right

You cannot view this attachment.

Seems like I remember threads where you were telling the noobies how to adjust the resistors until the notch disappeared

But seems like an elaborate circuit to demonstrate something that simple using two transistors and all.

I guess we'll see what's in store  xP

The other thing that is messed up is there's no amplification/voltage gain.  I went back and made the volts per division equal for both channels and the output is actually SMALLER  :grr

You cannot view this attachment.

Here in 1994
Things are different than before

saturated

Hmm ok yeah I went to tear it down and disconnect and unplug everything I had an idea why not turn up the DC supply voltage so sure enough when i hit about 12.7 V

You cannot view this attachment.

And now remeasuring Vbe

You cannot view this attachment.

So seems kinda simple oh well  xP

But I'll go ahead and proceed onward I anticipate they use the variable resistor to obtain needed voltages with the original 8 V DC but the part about the diodes has caught my interest   :tu: should be cool
Here in 1994
Things are different than before