Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Book recommendations on acoustics and cabinet designs?

Started by Katja, September 12, 2016, 04:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katja

Hey, does anyone know good books on principles of acoustics of speaker cabinets and particular designs of speaker cabinets? Maybe also about the particularities of resonance and of certain woods?

galaxiex

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

phatt

This page might interest you.
http://ozvalveamps.org/cabinets.htm
note the Fane speaker design link.

Don't get too carried away with exotic woods,, I've actually never seen a speaker wood tree growing :lmao:
I very much doubt anyone can tell the difference in a blind test between expensive wood and chipboard.

Plywood is common and cheap,, chip board works fine also, as long as you use HMR rated board it lasts forever.
(the cheap stuff is useless as it absorbs moisture and falls apart)

There is also *Custom wood* which is excellent but heavier than the others, It also needs to be HMR (High moisture resistant).

Worth a note; if you want wide spread from a speaker box then a quad box is not ideal.
It may not be obvious but a vertical alignment of drivers gives a wider dispersion of sound.
So 4 speakers side by side across a stage will actually deliver a vertical spread.
Google *Line Array*

Problem is,,(For guitar amps at least) a vertical 4 speaker box gets tall fast and are far more prone to falling over so although not ideal the old Marshall quad box has become a standard. No one has complained about its technical flaws yet. 8)

For small combo Amps with one speaker there is no point getting carried away as it is what it is,, don't expect stadium pressure waves from them. You just mic or DI them for larger venues.

I did read an article many years back where a design of a 5 speaker column speaker box with middle speaker wires out of phase actually spread sound even wider,, well so it claimed. :-\
Phil.

galaxiex

For guitar or MI (musical instruments),
London Power has a DIY book for speaker cabs.

I have the book, and have built a few of the cabs presented in the book.

1X10, 1X15, and a 2X10.

All sound quite good, and loud! even with the cheap low wattage rated Jensen speaker I loaded them with.

Pushing a whole 6 watts RMS thru the 1X15 it will easily keep up with a loud drummer in a relatively small rehearsal space.

Link >>> http://www.londonpower.com/audio-design-books/Speaker-Book
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.