Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

HIWATT G50CMR - if you know anything bout it please tell me

Started by mathew_jb, June 17, 2011, 02:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathew_jb

im looking at buying a hiwatt g50cmr amp for $350 brand new in australia, not so sure if i should or not. anybody know if its loud enough for small gigs? and i need general info on it thanks :D

phatt

Depends what you expect?
If you just want another far east made amp that Bragg's a lot about
sounding Modern as well as pulling off stunning Who sounds from 1 x 12 inch speaker
and you believe the BS then go ahead. :-*

This I believe is an all SS amp rig and if you care to visit the *Official HiWatt Site*
you won't even find a mention of the Amp model you ask about.   :o :o (I'd worry!)

I seriously doubt anything from Hiwatt **except** for the few copy's of the originals which
I'm led to understand are **Brilliant** as they are very close to the same units. :tu:

Once again like a lot of old brand names,,they make the REAL ones which cost big time but they make
their fortune from all the crap cheapies that bare the Original trademark name.
(Dave Reeves would turn in his grave if he knew :grr)

Even a few of the HiWatt *all Valve* cheapies have had serious design flaws,,
one was deleted because of non existent quality control and poor design.
We had one such issue here a while back and HiWatt did not want to know about it,,
They refused to help because it was an OS model they had no control over. :'(

Can I sell you some worry beads,,, 8|

I use the tried and tested method of Valuation.
****BIG BIG Brand Name**** from the hey days and new design and cheap?,,,,, = Crap. 8)
Just My two sense worth.

Hey Mathew,, I'm Aussie also.
Phil.

J M Fahey

Agree.
Today brand means nothing.
*Some* manufacturers have been with us a long time, non stop, and you more or less know what to expect.
Examples; Fender, Peavey, Laney, etc.
They stand behind what they make and you get what you pay for.
You spend over $2000 on an all tube classic Twin Reverb, it's a killer amp, long reverb, 2 impressive Jensen speakers, the real classic tone.
You spend $300 into an FM212, it's a good sounding , loud 2x12" (low end Eminences), small but adequate reverb, very usable.
There were also amps whose original maker is dead, whose company dissappeared in the 70's, who *never* made an SS amp, or channel switching ones, or used digital effects, who *only* used the most expensive Celestion or Fane speakers .
Now some investor buys the famous dead brand in an auction, that includes the right to use the special Tolex, grillcloth, handles, label, etc. on *anything* he makes.(even cookies or chewing gum if he so wishes, it's his).
Even worse, on something he does not even make, but is manufactured for him by a generic oriental maker with the cheapest cost possible.
He has to recover the money he spent!!
It does not mean that automatically a cheap Hiwatt, Vox or whatever is crap, just that you should test it very well, if possible ask somebody who bought it at least a few months ago.
There was a famous phrase in "Jaws", the killer shark movie, where a guy's mother calls a Lacoste T Shirt he asked her to buy, "a $20 T Shirt with a $45 crocodile sewn to it"
I see cheap "famous brand" amps as "$200 amps with a $150 label glued to them. ;)

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 17, 2011, 08:59:05 AM
..."a $20 T Shirt with a $45 crocodile sewn to it"
I see cheap "famous brand" amps as "$200 amps with a $150 label glued to them. ;)

Love it, great explanation and very true in today's market place.  A good example is my Dean Markley actually.  Not even produced by DM, but still a pretty quality little practice amp.  I'm not so sure about the rest of the low end DM line, but at least mine is good.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

I'll keep my eyes peeled for an Argentinian chap wearing a *Fahey Amplifier logo* T shirt :lmao:
Phil.

J M Fahey

*Everybody* asks me for one, so I guess I'll buy a bulkpack of black cotton T-Shirts and start silkscreening them.
Not only a logo but maybe some actual PCB pattern too, just to be "different".
After all, the stencils are already made , I'd only have to buy a can of Textile Ink.
Stay tuned.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 21, 2011, 08:34:09 PM
*Everybody* asks me for one, so I guess I'll buy a bulkpack of black cotton T-Shirts and start silkscreening them.
Not only a logo but maybe some actual PCB pattern too, just to be "different".
After all, the stencils are already made , I'd only have to buy a can of Textile Ink.
Stay tuned.

I'd rather have the amp than the t-shirt, but I'll take what I can get!   :tu:
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com