Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

Recent Posts

 

There's nothing to be gained from this

Started by saturated, October 03, 2026, 02:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturated

But I had to take a look

Assuming that a guitar creates a signal with voltage without batteries or power supply I wanted to take a look

Especially since I now have a BNC to phono jack cable hey let's take a look

You cannot view this attachment.

Now strum (one string only) a bit and try to grab a pic on the scope

You cannot view this attachment.

The messy "waveform" shown is only one of a myriad of varieties obtained in mere seconds  xP

I can only observe that what comes out of a guitar is much enriched with lots of components and artifacts vs a simple sin wave or something from a generator  xP

Each little harmonic or vibration is probably fighting for survival cancelling each other out and stuff  xP

I then remembered I had a frequency counter from when I was playing with some old CB radios so I thought ok let's see 440 but I didn't manage to get anything useful out of it

Maybe it would help to read the manual

You cannot view this attachment.

I played whack a mole with all buttons and settings and couldn't come up with anything

Here in 1994
Things are different than before

Jazz P Bass


saturated

Alright well I had thought to try and filter the signal to clean it up and decided to try a series resonant circuit that would only allow 440 to travel through  xP

I knew I had some inductors laying around so I grabbed one that said 15 mH (praying this stands for milli and not micro)
Next I measured it and got 13.24 mH (again praying this is milli and not micro)

With that I cracked open an old book and started looking for the calculation which I found and inserted the value of 440 for f and 0.01324 for H then solved for C not having any idea what number I would come up with.

And I was quite floored with the result

You cannot view this attachment.

That's pretty crazy that I just need a 10 uf capacitor  xP so I'm damn lucky or damn WRONG

Oh well nothing better to do than hook it up and try

I went back and checked the math ➗


You cannot view this attachment.

Here in 1994
Things are different than before

saturated

So... preliminary results no bueno

I wanted to use an LED as a current indicator so I connected everything and started with a signal generator to see if the LED would come on when I hit the magic frequency

You cannot view this attachment.

Unfortunately I've got current for days
It's not selective at all

You cannot view this attachment.

I can go up to 200 khz and the stupid LED stays lit  :grr
Here in 1994
Things are different than before

saturated

I removed the LED and hooked up scope probes this circuit is not working
I can change the input frequency to whatever I want and the output shows the exact same thing

I checked the capacitor it checked out 9.66 uf and it's rated for 50v

Back to the ol I wonder what mH stands for



You cannot view this attachment.

Maybe time to insert micro Henrys into the equation solve for C and try that  :grr


Here in 1994
Things are different than before

g1

The output of the generator (one scope probe) should remain the same.  The other scope probe shown should show an AC voltage change across the load resistor, depending on the following:
What is the value of your load resistor?  What is the impedance of your resonant LC combination at resonance?
I think it may be working, just a problem with measurement.

saturated

Yes sir thanks I'm actually sitting outside thinking ok value of randomly selected raistor....brown black red
...should be 1000 ohm  xP

Oh crap maybe I should be measuring CURRENT and not voltage

I'm really interested in the contents of the Boss TU-2 now

xP

Probably extremely silly to thing ok yeah nothing is getting through except the resonant frequency
Here in 1994
Things are different than before