Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

January 16, 2022, 05:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Getting nice sound for the low strings (low frequencies) on a small speaker  (Read 115 times)

Oooscar

• Regular
  • Chip Points: 2
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have around two small speakers from a pair of phones. 8 ohm 0,25 watt each one.
I have tried It today with an lm386 amp I have. And the sound from the low strings is not as good as the sound of the first three ones. I know small and tiny speakers have problems with low frequencies, I even tried It with the smartphone, and It sound quite high, bright, treble. Is there any way to balance the sound at least a bit? Changing the output capacitor, etc. I would like to make a very small guitar amp, like a smokey amp, but with the "best" possible sound.

Regards, cheers

Enzo

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 239
    • View Profile
Low end from tiny speakers?  Not likely.  To make bottom, the speaker cones have to move sufficiently to make the wave fronts.  That is hard for a speaker to do with a movement of a millimeter or so.

phatt

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 283
    • View Profile
If the speakers are not in a box then Bass will be non existent.
Especially being that they are H phone speakers (As Enzo noted)
Even a small cardboard box will improve the bass a little.
Phil.

Enzo

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 239
    • View Profile
Reminds me, in my shop days, when I had a speaker sitting out and wanted to test it with music.  Just a brief test.  They sound awful sitting on a table, so I would reach over and hold the speaker facing up over my trash can.  That enclosed space under the speaker gave it enough of an enclosure to see if it sounded halfway decent.