Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 23, 2020, 10:16:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Vox MINI3 - Replacing Speaker to start The Best-Ever Street Sound Project  (Read 302 times)

paulgabor9

• Chipper
  • Chip Points: 0
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,

I'm new in these hallowed halls and learning the rites, so have mercy...

In the age of "The Club Goes to the Street" I decided to build (assemble) the World's Greatest Street Sound System - under $ 100, weight 11 lbs., battery-run, pretty and disguisable.  I might need some advice... I'm a musician; I guess breadboards are for toast, no?

To a test I'd like to start with replacing the speaker in my recent issue Vox MINI2, 3Watt street amp. Also, take the whole thing out of it's cute, "boutique" enclosure. Then progress will follow to yield the above superlative.

I've learned (here) not to mess lightheartedly with that speaker-swap in this amp, so it still works. But the sound it does is not what I want. If possible I'd like to test it with 2 x 4" (5)", 90-SPL Visaton speakers - or better. Can this be done, and if yes, why not? (I understand Ohms, but there's more involved here).

Any advice pertaining to this and, consequently, to the Miracle Mini Monster System that will quickly follow is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

joecool85

• SSGuitar Admin
  • Legendary
  • Chip Points: 991
  • SSG Creator
    • View Profile
    • thatraymond.com
Re: Vox MINI3 - Replacing Speaker to start The Best-Ever Street Sound Project
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new in these hallowed halls and learning the rites, so have mercy...

In the age of "The Club Goes to the Street" I decided to build (assemble) the World's Greatest Street Sound System - under $ 100, weight 11 lbs., battery-run, pretty and disguisable.  I might need some advice... I'm a musician; I guess breadboards are for toast, no?

To a test I'd like to start with replacing the speaker in my recent issue Vox MINI2, 3Watt street amp. Also, take the whole thing out of it's cute, "boutique" enclosure. Then progress will follow to yield the above superlative.

I've learned (here) not to mess lightheartedly with that speaker-swap in this amp, so it still works. But the sound it does is not what I want. If possible I'd like to test it with 2 x 4" (5)", 90-SPL Visaton speakers - or better. Can this be done, and if yes, why not? (I understand Ohms, but there's more involved here).

Any advice pertaining to this and, consequently, to the Miracle Mini Monster System that will quickly follow is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

There really isn't more to it than ohms as far as what is safe to connect to the amp.  I'm not sure what it has stock, but assuming 8 ohm (please check this), then you could use two 4 ohm speakers in series, or two 16 ohm in parallel.  If you are trying for more volume, I recommend at least 93 db/watt SPL, but ideally 96 or greater.  Is there a reason for only going with 4 or 5" speakers?  This keeps you pretty limited.  Once you get to 8", things start to open up substantially for great SPL as well as sound quality across the frequency spectrum.

Good luck and welcome!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com