Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:24:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Behringer releases SM57 clone

Started by joecool85, January 02, 2020, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Behringer is attempting to bring a clone of the Shure SM57 to market for only $20 USD.  The concept is fine, but I'm concerned about execution as Behringer hasn't always been known for quality products in years past.  Regardless, more options is always a good thing, right?

https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-introduces-the-sl-75c-dynamic-microphone-a-20-sm57-clone/
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

I was an authorized service center for Behringer for a good number of years, and my impression was that overall their stuff performs well enough, is reliable.  What you can't do is pound nails into a board with it.  SO I would expect if someone decides to be "cool" and drop their mic on the floor, it might not hold up after that.

joecool85

Quote from: Enzo on January 02, 2020, 12:21:22 PM
I was an authorized service center for Behringer for a good number of years, and my impression was that overall their stuff performs well enough, is reliable.  What you can't do is pound nails into a board with it.  SO I would expect if someone decides to be "cool" and drop their mic on the floor, it might not hold up after that.

This is good info.  Most of my experience has been through my brother who had some bass gear (a 50w amp I believe) as well as what I've read online.  Very little hands-on myself.  I suppose I shouldn't be so quick to judge!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

Things seem to be changing, but I had to sign a non-disclosure.  Behringer was always tight with schematics, and didn't sell parts.  So in many minds that means not reliable.  it isn't the gear's fault they won't support it to users.I would sure try one.

At $20, I'd buy a set for all my vocals and a couple extras, just in case. Assuming my test went OK.

And all that said, the real, indestructible SM57 and SM58 are not expensive, under $100 new with warranty, and half that used in good shape.

psafloyd

Tight with schematics, as they generally clone stuff these days.

I think the days of low quality Chinese knock off Behringer are long gone.

I know people with stuff they swear by in the studio and live, whereas I've only got a couple of their things and they work well. But as you say, the compromise to make a low price is in the materials.