Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

choosing a SS amp design to build

Started by mksafavi, December 24, 2019, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mksafavi

Hi.
I want to build a practice amp. so I started searching for amp designs.
The first thing I found was Marshal MG10. which I don't really like that much and because of resistors range I might end up buying lots of spare parts. (about 1500 resistors that I may not use any time soon).
then I came across this Rickenbacker TR7 that is transistor-based  (I enjoy working with transistors more <3) ).

Rickenbacker TR7 preamp and power amp schematics:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19340.pdf
in the TR7 power amp, there is an MFC8020 that I think it's impossible to find. (couldn't find any substitute either).
what do you think I should do about the power amp in TR7?
do you recommend any other simple transistor-based amp design?

thanks

Enzo

Your print shows the MFC chip as on earlier models and MC3320 as the more modern.  But today?  I'd use an LM1875 or other small power amp chip.  When you see TDA2030, 2040, or 2050, those ICs are largely gone, so the LM1875 is a reasonable sub.

Check out the "transtube" versions of the Peavey Rage/Blazer.  (Same amp, Blazer includes the reverb, Rage does not)

willpirkle

LM1875 also really well documented, many app notes and design examples. Agree with Peavey Rage suggestion; relatively simple, and has the super-distortion preamp, which makes a great little distortion box on its own. Great first amp (or dist box) project idea!