Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Z-MATCHER 100W IMPEDANCE MATCHER

Started by tonyharker, September 13, 2019, 05:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyharker

Does anyone here use this device, any comments and does anyone know what is inside? It looks small to house a 100w transformer.

phatt

I'm not the expert but logic suggests that as there is no HV & Hi Z primary (as in Valve output Tx) then the Z matcher would not need to be as big.
I would assume it's just a low Z matching Tx with switching taps.

Have a look here not quite the same thing but obviously uses rather small Tx but still rated at 100Watt and only $30. Before you ask,,I have no idea if this would work for Valve guitar Amps. :-\
https://www.walmart.com/ip/100W-In-wall-Stereo-Speaker-Volume-Control-with-Impedance-Matching/198934342
Phil.

Loudthud

I bought a couple of the Weber 50W (component level) auto-transformers for use on the output of a 50W @ 4 Ohm power amp. Worked OK didn't seem to change the sound much when driving an 8 or 16 Ohm load. Last I checked, the 50W was discontinued leaving only the 100W version. I ordered a pair of those, they weren't much bigger than the 50W units. Fit the same chassis holes.

I'm not sure the Wal-Mart units do the same thing, they look more like constant Voltage distribution transformers with big L-pads.