Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Identifying a resistor

Started by jpcar, December 15, 2018, 09:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpcar

Can anyone help identify this resistor?

Pic attached
It appears to be Brown, Black, Silver, Gold, Black.

Maybe the Silver is Gray, in which case a resistor calculator I found online would say that it's a 10.8 Ohm at 1% tolerance. I'm skeptical.
It's from a power supply. And is blown open, as it's reading infinite ohms on the multimeter.

Any other ideas how to read it?
I'm assuming it starts with Brown, since they usually don't start with Black - it being zero.

Thanks.

Enzo

I see 1-0-x0.01, so 0.1 ohm then 5%, and the final black band is something I don't care about like temperature stability.  (250k ppm/K)

But then I am sitting on my couch drinking beer...

galaxiex

Quote from: Enzo on December 15, 2018, 10:39:05 PM
I see 1-0-x0.01, so 0.1 ohm then 5%, and the final black band is something I don't care about like temperature stability.  (250k ppm/K)

But then I am sitting on my couch drinking beer...

Sitting on your couch drinking beer...
you can probably diagnose circles around most of us...  ;)  :lmao:
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

jpcar

Right! That makes sense. Thanks Enzo.
Enjoy that beer.
Cheers!

Enzo

I remember learning the color code, that was over 60 years ago.   I did it the hard way, one color at a time.  Well two really.  I later heard other guys using some sort of memory thing, "Our bad boys..."    I noticed colors often came in pairs, the first one I learned was yellow-purple, and that was 47.   Then orange-orange and quickly red-red fell into place.  Back then we didn't have 2%, 1% or other odd stripe arrangements.  Hell, 20% resistors were the most common at that.

I eventually found a cardboard resistor calculator.  It had three wheels that filled windows on the card with colors, and other windows had printed numbers.  By then I already knew the code, but I looked up many resistors anyway, just from lingering doubt.

I found that image at a really cool web site:
https://stevenjohnson.com/cardboard/wheelcharts.htm

galaxiex

Too cool enzo.  8)

I actually still have my R/S resistor calculator. I think I got it in the late 70's.

I also used to have a Heathkit Experimenter workshop somewhere around 1968.
It was exactly like this one.
I would have been about 10 years old then.

I've always been a "tinkerer" never took any formal training in electronics.

Sorry for the OT but the OP already got his question solved so I figured it wouldn't hurt.  :)

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Enzo

I remember those "experimenter" boards, with the springs to connect stuff.

My first stuff predates that a bit, and everything was made using Fahnestock clips.