Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Canadian '70s vintage - Vibration Technology VT Beta 60 1x15 combo

Started by msteeln, June 25, 2018, 05:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msteeln

I stepped up my SS game today so it's fitting to submit my intro, NAD, Club (if ya'll do clubs here) all in one bang now that I have a serious hunk of bass amp in the rare form of a VT, a company I'd not heard of until an add in the local CL jumped out with an $85 eye grabber and the coolest and no doubt most worthless button selectors ever on a bass amp, now I have a Beta 60 hogging up valuable floor space. a bit of cleaner spray might trick the buttons into functioning @ 100% but it fires up quietly after years of storage, makes good sounds, and looks Cold War cool, that'll do til I can announce the new member to our neighbors tomorrow.
I've been a big fan of tubes and Solid State forever and have been especially enjoying Roland amps over the many years for steel, guitar, and bass. I'm hoping my experience with this 1/2 stack of Vibration Technology is as profound as my many Roland amps have served me. since so little info is to be found about the VT line this post can help in consolidating input and info should anyone search here. I certainly hope to find out more about mine and in time the whole scope of VT products, maybe somebody knows about and likes their's too, or possibly worked for the company.
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/d/vt-beta-60-amp-vintage-rare/6607174200.html

g1

I remember working on this brand occasionally and thinking they were well built.
As you say, the push-buttons were problematic.  It would probably be tough to find replacement switches, but you can probably find a way to get some de-oxit spray into them.

msteeln

Quote from: g1 on June 25, 2018, 06:35:04 PM
  I remember working on this brand occasionally and thinking they were well built.
As you say, the push-buttons were problematic.  It would probably be tough to find replacement switches, but you can probably find a way to get some de-oxit spray into them.
yes, some spray indulgence is immanent but before incurring noise issues while testing (which may require a trip to the doctor) it showed a wide range of great tonal promise, quite surprising really, so those buttons may be a bit more go than mere show. mod considerations will be prudent if this goes on the ampbulance in hopes of improving what may already be a good thing. I'm guessing a cap leak or similar is the culprit and a good excuse to plan the next phase.

g1

What is the fault that you think a cap leak may be the culprit for?

msteeln

Quote from: g1 on June 26, 2018, 12:29:07 PM
What is the fault that you think a cap leak may be the culprit for?
a cap or similar typically crapping out can give scratchy sounds but I have no idea what the issues are. if a spray cleaning doesn't do the trick it's off to repairs as soon as I decide what mods I might include, if any. I want to put this amp thru it's paces to know what it does stock.