Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Need help with a Vox Super Beatle head.

Started by Caesonia, February 18, 2018, 06:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caesonia

Over a year ago, i bought a Vox Super Beatle head made in 1966. I've wanted one of these for thirty years. Being one of the first solid states, they have a reputation for unreliability, so I've taken it very easy on this amp head. I've only used it for recording sessions and kept it unplugged and covered otherwise. I haven't used it in a couple of months because I didn't have any tracks to record, until today. I plugged everything in, turned it on, no sound. I turned the volume up to levels that would be deafening normally, and could just barely hear the ghost of a guitar signal. The odd thing is, everything seemed to work. I could hear the tremolo  on the trem channel in that tiny signal, and when I changed the speed, I could hear it slow down and speed up. I heard the change when I turned on the fuzz. In the reverb channel, I could hear a tiny echo of reverb when I turned that on. It seems like it's probably a short of some kind, but there is NO REASON for it to be doing this. I tried changing the guitar cord, changing the speaker cord, using a different guitar, and plugging that speaker into a different amp (worked fine). Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.