Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey VIP 2 buzzing/crackling

Started by Den., January 19, 2018, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den.

Hi...My Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 started buzzing and crackling a gig tast week. It reminded me of what it sounds like when a speaker is about to fail. When I got it home I swapped out speaker but the problem remained. Tried different guitars...same thing. After I turn on the amp it takes about fifteen minutes of warming up/playing before I can induce it to start buzzing. It is induced most easily when thumping on Bb or B note on the E string. Near the end of the clip I play a C note and the buzzing/crackling goes away. I have tried to attach a 1 min. 15 sec. sound clip:

nosaj

See if the input jack has any effect on the noise (wiggling the male 1/4 jack).

nosaj

Den.

Thanks. I should have added that I've tried that along with trying different guitar cords.

nosaj

Here is a link to the schematics you will have to direct us to which is the version you have.
To me it sounds like some freeze spray may be needed to suss out the issue.
http://zorkmids.com/?p=384
Is there a line out or FX loop? on this model?
nosaj

Den.

Thanks for the link. There is a 1/8in. headphone jack on the front. There isn't an effect loop or pre out, pwr in.

nosaj

If using the headphones do you still hear the buzzing/crackling?

nosaj

Enzo

And when it does it, ball up your fist and whack the op of the amp.  Does that make it stop or pause the humming?

Den.

Quote from: Enzo on January 19, 2018, 08:26:39 PM
And when it does it, ball up your fist and whack the op of the amp.  Does that make it stop or pause the humming?
That's the first thing I tried at the gig when it started...no effect.
And, no difference when listening through headphones.

phatt

It could be as simple as a loose panel or screw, even speaker baffle it's been noted here;
https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31345&p=236927&hilit=VIP+buzzing#p236927
Then again it could be the electronics and these are all digital so quite complex.
Some say to reboot the whole thing to reset all the digital wizz stuff.
HTH, Phil.

Jazz P Bass

Your best bet is to contact Peavey.

1 (877) 732-8391

Peavey Electronics, Customer Service