Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Modding a Honeytone Amp INTO a vocal pedal

Started by Vibrokat, July 29, 2017, 06:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vibrokat

Hello, I am new here.  I am a guitar player and I am attempting to run vocals through a Danelectro Honeytone amp.  I am going to start out by saying, I am not great with electronics, so I ask you to please bare with me and my ignorance.

The plan is to run the mic into a vocal tube preamp (where I can control the signal a bit and prevent feedback), then into the honeytone, then send that signal to the PA.  I was going to add an XLR output jack to the amp so that I can run that straight out to the PA, however after opening it up I realize there is no ground wire inside the amp itself.  I don't want to fry the mixer or PA, so my question is... what do I need to do here?  I greatly appreciate ANY assistance here.  I am a caveman.

The photo I attached shows the XLR output jack that I started to install.  I was planning on just taking the wires going to the speaker and sending them to the XLR (since I don't actually need to use the speaker)

g1

If you are going to use a vocal tube preamp, what do you need the Honeytone for?
Does it add something to the sound?  Just run the preamp into the PA.

Vibrokat

Yes, I'm using the honeytone for its "lo-fi" effect.

EDIT: I'm not sure yet, but I think I overlooked a much easier way to accomplish what I want.... (headphone jack).  I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

J M Fahey

Don´t connect the headphone jack to the XLR connector.
In fact, remove that XLR to avoid confusion (as in: "WTF? ... I plug this into the mixer and it does not sound")

Make/buy a headphone plug to regular guitar plug cable and send headphone out to a mixer "Line Input" or if more than 20/25 meters away, ask Soundman for a "Direct box" .

That said, I guess you are inserting too much and worse: contradicting elements in your sound, I guess I know what sound are you trying to achieve and you will not.

Want a *real*  lo-fi sound? : plug your vocal microphone into a small cheesy amplifier, even the Honey Tone might do, put amp inside a closed case or if recording at home,in another room, a bathroom is perfect because of the natural reverb, and pick it with a microphone.

The *acoustic*  element is a large part of that sound.

Or use just the tube preamp, drive it hard so it becomes gritty, send it straigt to mixer, and there cut all bass, all high treble and increase some nasty mid-high frequency, think 2000 or 2500Hz .... instant Lo Fi  ;)

If yu want a boxy sound increase around 300/400 Hz.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on July 31, 2017, 10:44:07 AM
Don´t connect the headphone jack to the XLR connector.
In fact, remove that XLR to avoid confusion (as in: "WTF? ... I plug this into the mixer and it does not sound")

Make/buy a headphone plug to regular guitar plug cable and send headphone out to a mixer "Line Input" or if more than 20/25 meters away, ask Soundman for a "Direct box" .

That said, I guess you are inserting too much and worse: contradicting elements in your sound, I guess I know what sound are you trying to achieve and you will not.

Want a *real*  lo-fi sound? : plug your vocal microphone into a small cheesy amplifier, even the Honey Tone might do, put amp inside a closed case or if recording at home,in another room, a bathroom is perfect because of the natural reverb, and pick it with a microphone.

The *acoustic*  element is a large part of that sound.

Or use just the tube preamp, drive it hard so it becomes gritty, send it straigt to mixer, and there cut all bass, all high treble and increase some nasty mid-high frequency, think 2000 or 2500Hz .... instant Lo Fi  ;)

If yu want a boxy sound increase around 300/400 Hz.

Juan is right, you aren't going to get a lo-fi sound doing what you are talking about.  Even the cheapest of amps will pass through reasonable sound when taking the speaker out of the mix.  You need to mic that little speaker to get the sound you are looking for.  I love the idea of a closed case "amp box" to do this in.  Then you can set it up wherever you like.  Many times this is called an "isolation box."
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com