Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:09:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Strange amp in a suitcase

Started by baaron31, April 24, 2017, 11:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baaron31

Hi,

I am new here and recently I bought this Garnet Enforcer 2 amp built in a suitcase. It seems to be a PA and musical instrument hybrid amp but definitely sound great for guitar. One channel has a very tube like break up wheres the other sound cleaner. Its got one 8'' speaker and can get very loud. The amp also has a bracket to mount a microphone stand on it.
I would like to know if there is anyone who knows a bit more about it especially if its rare and when they were produced. Garnets are very popular in my area since they were built locally (Winnipeg) but I have never seen something like this.
Thanks.

Enzo

You hid the jack labels in the closer photos, but the wider shot looks like the inputs are MIC and PHONO, is that right?   I would expect those two inputs to have different sensitivities and tonal profiles.

baaron31

Hi Enzo, you are correct. The other jack input reads "Phone/Tape".

baaron31

From what I gather Garnet made Enforcer amps from 79-82 but those were tube amps. On their production data there is no mention of an "Enforcer 2".

The knob used on this amp definitely dates it as a post 1975 amp. It also has two 3.5 jack outlets on the case next to the speaker.

J M Fahey

Probably a custom build or small run production focused on travelling salesmen and such.
Besides the front panel, they don´t seem to have invested much time in it: cheesy power supply built on perfboard with two transformers in parallel (were they on sale?), using a store bought prebuilt amp module , minimal passive input circuitry built on tagboards, this amp didn´t even deserve its own PCBs.
Anything else, only a local guy would know.

baaron31

Thanks J M Fahey. I have tried to see how it would sound using an external speaker cab but as soon as i put a lead into the speaker out jack i get a terrible feedback hum. I thought it was a grounding issue cause the plug only had two prongs so I replaced the plug with a 3 pin end but i am still getting the same loud hum.
Anyone knows what the issue can be?

J M Fahey

Use as is and don´t get fancy  ;)
And not sure about actual function of that jack, it might be a supply jack for an externally connected device or even to feed the desk lamp or anything.
You (we)  can´t advance until you draw a proper schematic.
Not sure you´ll want to though.

Just look at older Galaxiex posts, who buys old "orphan" SS amps and draws the schematics himself.
Plenty of examples.

g1

I don't see a speaker out jack, you don't mean the signal out jack do you?
If it is a speaker out, make sure the hum is not a DC voltage.

As far as the history of the amp, you could try contacting Garnet via their web site, Pete Thiessen is a very helpful guy who loves finding the rare models.
Also, there is a yahoo group for Garnet amps, https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/garnet-amps/info where you may find something (you will need to join).

baaron31

Thanks g1. That's really helpful. I meant the 'signal out' jack. It actually does sound like a DC voltage hum but wouldn't all channels hum if that was the case?

Will definitely join the yahoo group and contact Peter. I am sure he would have some knowledge of this.

Thanks again!

g1

Signal out is to go to another power amp or a powered speaker.  Is it a powered speaker you are running the 'signal out' into?

baaron31

Ok. Wasn't aware of that! I tried it in two different passive cabs and hummed. Then i tried in into the input of an old Yamaha G100 and no sound came out. I will try it into another powered amp and see what happens. Thanks again G1, your help is appreciated.

J M Fahey

Have you checked you have NO DC at that jack?

Where/what/how is it connected to?