Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

differential pair amplifier question

Started by NPreston, April 13, 2017, 11:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NPreston

I am kind of new to amp building and have a decent understanding of amplifying with op apms and single transistors, however I am having trouble really grasping how the differential pair commonly seen in the power section works...  I've tried reading up here and there on the net about it, but I cant say I really know how to make use of this circuit.. I kinda get it, however I dont really understand how to properly set the feedback or how to design for a specific gain etc, set dc at input, single supply vs +/- supply ect..   IN any case, was wondering if anybody knew of any good easy to follow tutorials with examples anywhere??   Something you might see in a text book with various examples??
Thanks

N.

phatt

Are you aware of Teemu's book? It will help explain it.

https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=711.0

Also Google Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill. I think there maybe a PDF of that book floating around.
It's one of the better books and covers the subject quite well. If you have a basic understanding of analog electronics then A of E will be easy to grasp. ;) 
Heck I failed at maths and even I understood a fair bit straight up.  :tu:
Phil.

J M Fahey

Agree and add: study how Operational Amplifiers work, since they are a MAJOR building block there´s tons of books and articles explaining them; which also explain NFB since that´s the tool to make them do what you want.
And of course the differential amplifier is explained, since it constitutes the input stage of an Op Amp.

Once you understand this, modern SS Power Amps are simple: they *are* an Op Amp !!!!!! ... just a beefy kind, able to drive speakers with high power.,

NPreston

Thanks for the pointers..  I'll definitely take a look into Op amp insides too when i start catchin on!
:tu: