Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:09:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

RG100ES Biasing the POWER transistors???

Started by BMWFREQ, March 23, 2011, 04:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidmachine

The yellow wire is going to a .27! 

The XP series is supposed to not lose as much volume when you engage the sustain boost.  Would that have anything to do with swapping the resistors around?

vidmachine

Ok I swapped them around. And now I'm getting 43.5 mv on both .6's and zero on both .27s. Still have 258 mv on the speaker out to ground.  Maybe a bad resistor somewhere.  Here is an iPhone shot test video.

Except for the iPhone mic compression it sounds pretty good.  Still should be a tad more thumpy but it's good for now. 

https://youtu.be/x6qrPpPfuqk

Additional info Edit:
So the amp sounds good and seems to be chugging as it should but after warming up and playing for a little while, seems to be getting a little bit of unwanted distortion.  Not the crunchy/metal good distortion, but the buzzy kind.   

Questions: Could this be what is meant by Crossover Distortion?  Is this perhaps why the capacitors C31, C33, C34, C35, & C36 may need to be changed?  Can they be tested in circuit?   Would it be better to set bias at 15-30 mv across R55 than at 43.5 mv where it is now? 

Thanks a bunch. You guys are awesome!

phatt

250mV of DC on the output is not a big issue I repaired an old roland amp years back running 500mV DC at the output,,obviously had run for years in that state.

If you want to know if the amp has crossover distortion without a scope then set the amp on the clean channel then with your ear near the speaker simply pick one note and let it ring out. If there is any xover dist then the speaker will sound buzzy/fizzy like torn paper.
You can get close to correct bias just by turning up the bias until the fizz is gone any further then you just run the output harder with little benefit,,just makes the amp run hot which is not a good idea. ideally you need a scope to do it,, maybe google xover distortion fir more detail.
Phil.