Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Just joined SS guitar!!!!

Started by NPreston, March 03, 2017, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NPreston

Hi,  so I have finally joined SS guitar!!!  Something I have been meaning to do for a while..   

So I have been tinkering in the basement building a crude yet functional amp (which I think sounds pretty decent so far).. 

I have a background in electronics but havn't worked in the field for a good 5 years now..  And even then I worked mostly in repair/calibration..  Design is something new to me and is quite challenging..   

anyways, I look forward to learning more and being able to share what I think I know! 

Here is a link to how things sound so far!!  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbZLZe0DjwI&spfreload=5

J M Fahey

1) welcome :)
2) killer sounding amp :)
3) now tell us more about it :)

NPreston

Thanks!!

Im pretty happy with the results so far.   but I got to give most of the credit to the speakers themselves.. 

I dont have schematic drawn up, just been kinda hacking away and learning as I go..  I'll do my best to explain..

In any case its pretty simple so far.  built on +/-15v rails using tl072 op amps and clipping back to back mosfets that have their drains connected to the gates..  gives about a 2V threshold..  in addition there are 2 stages of clipping that have lowish resistance between the mosfets and ground for a little more softness to the clipping.  all of this is inverted and buffered through another set of tl072s then fed to a common emitter config with 4 diodes in the collector side then off to a class AB configuration using TIP 142/147 and roofing hardware as heat sinks..  The last op amp buffer has a variable DC built in so I can minimize the final DC at the speakers..

Absolutely no filtering or eq yet tho..  and just a bench suppply..   Would like to build a real power supply soon as mine is pretty old and starts to drop out when I try to push any real power.. its probably 40+ years old and could probably use Caps ect..     

joecool85

I'm with JM, good sounding amp!  If/when you draw up a schematic, I'd love to see it.  What kind of wattage output do you expect with a 142/147 based amp on +/-15v rails?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com