Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:59:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Multiple PT primaries + connections

Started by Junglemuscle, January 22, 2016, 08:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junglemuscle

hi!
Been fallowing this site for a while and finally joined. Lot of cool stuff on here!

I'm instaling a three prong cord onto a early 70s Heathkit TA-16 and I have two questions because I've encountered two things I'm not familiar with:

1) this amp uses circuit breakers instead of fuses (one in the Mains circuit and one right before the rectifier). They are pretty janky (but cool) looking things that just sort of crimp onto the chasie. Wondering if there is a way to test them to make sure they are functioning properly. Or should I replace them with fuse holders? Are fuses superior/inferior/comperable?
I've also considered an IEC power inlet jack that includes a fuse. If I use one, what would be an appropriate fuse?

2) the power transformer has four primary leads. Looking online it seems that it means there are two coils on the primary side, and these four are the ends of each coil. From my research it looks like you can wire them in series to accommodate UK mains and in parallel to work with US 120VAC.

My question is: what is the best way to connect the leads together so I can attach them to the neutral wire of my AC cord and the others to one side of the ON/OFF switch?

Any advice about these questions would be greatly appreciate! Or if I need to clarify my questions I can.
Thank You!!
Jason

Enzo

Was the power transformer not already wired for the power voltage you have?

Those dinky looking circuit breakers have been around for decades, a zillion TV sets had them.  They work like a fuse, they go open if current goes too high.  But unlike a fuse, you can push in the red post and reset it.   If the amp powers up, I'd leave them alone.

In fact I have several of those in various values with clip wires soldered to them.  I put then clipped to a fuse clip on amps that are blowing fuses.  Thus saving a pile of blown fuses while I work on it.

Is ther really room on that thing for an IEC with fuse assembly?

Junglemuscle

Thanks for responding! Yes the PT is already wired for my power voltage. However, two of them (they are the black and black/green wires) are soldered together on one of the tabs of the 200w outlet on the back of the amp,  and the other two (red/black and yellow/black) are connected to a tab on the fist circuit breaker.
My plan was to connect the neutral wire from my new AC cord to one pair of primaries and the other pair of primaries  to one lug of the power switch. (This is along with the green ground of the AC cord going to chassis, black hot going to one circuit breaker lug, and a wire going from the other circuit breaker lug to the other lug of the switch). I was just going to not include the outlet.

I guess I'm wondering, physically, what is the best way to connect the white neutral wire from the AC cord to the one pair of PT primary leads? Should I twist the two leads together and then twist them to the neutral wire and solder/heat shrink them together? Or should I solder them all to a free seperat soldering tab on the Chassie?
Sorry if I'm not being clear. Thank you for your help!
Jason

Enzo

Well, the easiest thing to do is to solder the new cord to the same places the old cord was.  And the new ground wire direct to chassis, of course.  Nothing wrong with having the outlet wired, you might want to plug in a lamp or a fan sometime.

As long as the cord is firmly anchored in the chassis hole, you can butt splice the transformer and neutral wires and heat shrink them, but I always prefer to solder the wires to some terminal so they are held sturdily.  Make sure not to use a free  lug that is grounded.  Insulated from chassis.

Junglemuscle

Awesome. Thanks so much! Got it all done today and it works great.  Sorry for the noob question. I own a few "cool" vintage tube amps, but I honesty think this little ss actually has the best blind test tone of all of them. And now it's safe too!