Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

paging j m fahey

Started by swt, August 06, 2015, 08:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swt

hey juan. I'm also from argentina but i'll follow the forum rules so i'll speak in english.
Do you have a contact phone or web page or email?.
i build tube amps and fxs, ss amps, etc, but just as a hobby in the quest for good tone. i'm an ee but have dedicated my life to music and martial arts.
the reason for this message is to open your eyes to a new market in argentina. i play jazz and blues, and i think it could be a goal to build a polytone pre with a lm3886 or tda 7293 amp, with fx loop. also a desirable amp could be a fet preamp like the old roland cube with a chipamp, or with irp250 fets. i have lots of friends that can buy that type of amps in a head form, not only from the place i live (neuquen, patagonia), but have friends in bs as, mar del plata, rosario etc, that play jazz and would be really interested in buying a polytone type of amp or aimed sound, at a reasonable price. let me know what you think of this or tell me how to contact you by phone. thanks a lot!!
PS: it could also be nice to have some well built tl 606 or tl 806 cabinets to pair with those amps...
PS2: irp250 would also be nice...i'built a polytone pre with a lm3886 and it sounds good, also built a roland cube pre with tda 7294 and had good results, my friends like them a lot, but i'm not a builder...i do that for myself...and build most of the fet preamps on perfboard...

J M Fahey

Oh, thanks paisano :)
Congratulations on having been bit by the DIY bug  :dbtu:

As of the amps, well, I have already made Polytone type amps for ages, sold many, but after testing them side by side they usually prefer to carry my regular Bass amp, which has the same sound flat and much better equalization, 4 bands instead of 2.
With added Brite/Dark switch of course.
And mine does have a built in Limiter (Polytone does not)  so even if they play LOUD it never clips :)

Of course if somebody still prefers a regular Polytone clone, fine with me, price is the same.

I make them in different versions, from 100W RMS+15"speaker to 60WRMS+10"speaker , black carpet covered like the original.
Plus my prices are very good, of course.

If any of your friends (or yourself, while visiting Buenos Aires)  wants to try one, you/they are welcome.

Just tell me 2 weeks in advance because I do not always have one.

As of IRFP250, I have also been using them for ages, I use them in  all my amps from 200W RMS up; for 60 to 100W I still prefer TIP142/147 , since 2007 when I was forced to switch from my trusty 2N3055 , which I used from 1969 to 2007 , because practically all new ones were fakes.

My Argentine email is juanmanuelfahey (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) ar ; the International one is juanmanuelfahey (at) gmail (dot) com

As of chipamps, unless the pin compatible universal TDA20xx (up to 30W) , I try to avoid larger ones, because when they become obsolete it's a PITA to repair an amp, I have already repaired countless Valvestate 40 and others based on TDA1514 (the EBAY ones are fakes) , 20/25W Fender with uPC1188 , many Kustom with some STK module, etc.

While amps I made 25 years ago are still running every week, because they can be repaired.

The oldest one I know is a 200W power amp made in 1972, since then in service every weekend at an Evangelical Church in LanĂºs, go figure.

If you want to leave a spoken message, try 54 11 4301 9111 .

Good luck and thanks for your interest.

swt

great juan!! i'll be in buenos aires in a month or so. i'll contact you before to tell you the precise date. i'll try a couple of amps if possible. thanks a lot buddy...

J M Fahey

You're welcome.

Bring your own fat box guitar, unless you want to try the shop Epi LP with rusty strings  :lmao: