Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Thinking about trying an Amp Maker kit: WF-55

Started by Zaphod Beeblebrox, November 24, 2014, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod Beeblebrox

I've come across this WF-55 kit from Amp Maker.... The instructions are all online and I understand enough of it that I think I could handle it. 

Here's a link to the instructions:  http://www.ampmaker.com/wf-55-construction-manual-842-0.html

I'd love to use parts available in the USA though and skip the massive shipping costs of getting the Power Transformer and Output Transformer directly from Amp Maker.

They list the PT for the project as a 0-190-275v (20w). 

Here's a link to the Power Transformer that Amp Maker uses in the build:  http://www.ampmaker.com/store/0-190-275V-20W-power-transformer.html

Can I find something similar enough to this Stateside?   Recommendations?
I am very new this, so please don't hurt my brain too much! ;-)

g1

Are you stuck on the switchable output power feature?  If so, I think you are stuck with this transformer.
  Otherwise, why not look into other tweed Champ (5F1) kits.  That's basically what this is, and there should be plenty to choose from stateside.
  This is a very simple circuit so they should all be roughly equal ease of building.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

You're right, The switchable output of the transformer is not important for me for this...this kit doesn't even take advantage of that feature.

The real reason I am considering this kit is as a first build.  It looks easy.  I'm actually not all that hot for a Champ clone but I feel like I should get something easy under my belt before I attempt an 18w or 36w Plexi (which is what I really want)
The Amp Maker builds use the same Power Transformer for this Champ clone as the 18w & 36w Plexi's and I was thinking I could reuse the PT.

Do you have any suggestions for a stateside supplier for kits?  I know what comes up in a google search but its nice to hear what more experienced folks think