Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Cab & Speaker suggestions for Yamaha G100 II head

Started by thatguy, May 22, 2014, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatguy

Hi. I was was wondering what combination of cab and speaker would work well with the Yamaha G100 II head?

I'm guessing an EVM 12L with an open back cab.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Does the cab have to be a certain amount of watts?

Thanks

smackoj

there could be numerous combinations of cabinets and speakers that sound good with your amp. the biggest problem is trying to 'test' different brands and models without having to buy dozens. gets real expensive real quick. I prefer the blue label Fender 12s for blues and vintage rock sound. I don't think you can go wrong with either EV or JBL high end speakers. I don't think they sound as good as some of the ones with smaller magnets though except when pushed really hard by some mega watts. Case in point would be the late, great Jerry
Garcia.

Here is a link to a picture of the blue label Fender speakers. They are plentiful, priced right and can handle a lot of guitar sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fender-Twin-Reverb-The-Twin-Red-Knob-Guitar-Amp-Combo-Amplifier-LL66385-/251538046908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a90d5ffbc

thatguy

Yeah,there are a few options. I just want to get the watts for the speaker and the cab and the amp to all be compatible.Then find some reviews to read.

smackoj

just FYI; getting the spkr watts rating equal to your amp's output is not the key to making your rig sound great. I would not hesitate to use spkrs rated at 60 watts with a 100 watt peak amp. BUT, the tonal qualities of the spkr itself and, in small part, the design and building materials used for the cab, will determine if it produces the "sound" you are looking for. Again, trying dozens of different combinations will be very costly so get some recommendations and try a couple different spkrs in a good cabinet (the best cabs in the sixties i.e. Blackface Fender cabs, were all made with seasoned Pine and voidless ply sound board with an open back). The best cabs available today are all made with voidless plywood, NOT pressbrd or sawdust board. Most cabs for lead guitar are open back. Most cabs for bass are closed back. There are some good cabinet builders out there but they're not inexpensive so be sure what you want before you buy. I see lots of good 'looking' unfinished pine and ply cabs for sale on ebay but I know nothing about any of those sellers.

Remember that the BIGGEST issue is the type and quality of the spkr itself, so that's where you want concentrate your most time and money to get the BEST result.

smacko jack    :tu:

J M Fahey

Even before offering any advice, it would help a lot to know what kind of Music you will play.
A 100W SS Yamaha and an EVM something *is*  a classic combination, loved by Jazz players because it´s LOUD, clean and full sounding.
Pedal steel guitar players also love a combination of a powerful clean SS amp coupled to a high efficiency speaker: JBL/Black Widow/EV , etc.
That said, since in an SS amp you usually don´t get distortion by overloading the power amp, you miss nothing by using that amp/speaker at lower, even bedroom levels and getting all your dirt from pedals.
So yes, an EV would be a great choice.
The fact that it handles 250W RMS or more is good, you will find it difficult to blow  :dbtu:

MasterVolume

The G100 has a very full Bass sound. It is super loud when run at full volume but can sound very hard. I'd suggest getting speakers with very high efficiency so you don't need to push the power amp at all.
Make sure you get the bias checked too.
Using Tapatalk

semjmiyta

I know it's an old post but fer the helluv it my 2 cents. Ive had my G100 for 6-8 months $120out the door at a pawn shop. At 1st I couldnt get any good tones then I started stacking different pedals in front and........HOLY Sh**. Im using an Ibanez s series with Boss MT into the clean head.  FN" insane when you spend some time with the pedals dialing in small nuances really pay off.

Oh yeah and a buddy of ine calls me saying he found some speaker in an alley (actually 2 of em) and do I think I'd want it . Lansing something or other h says. Bring it over I said. $40 later I had a vintage 15" Lansing woofer. Built a quick box painted black And window screen over the front painted black. Really...outstanding. Thru fluke things that happen I have a killer setup.

Although I still feel the yamaha distortion really weak and foul sounding and despite what I've been told I do believe the head can be modded to fix that. I just don't have the exact knowledge of how to do this but in time.........in time.

J M Fahey

*Forget*  the Yamaha distortion, don´t waste time on it and even better don´t risk hurting the amp, just use the meanest pedal you want in front of it.
Let the pedal do the drive and the Yamaha provide muscle ... which it has in spades.