Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

bugera v55 od mods needed

Started by mjojo51, March 12, 2014, 03:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjojo51

Anyone do any od channel mods to this model. thanks

mjojo51

J M Fahey

Is it a Tube amp?
If so, not the best Forum to ask.

Besides, in general the idea is to repair real problems; mods are highly subjective and cause endless flame wars, what we avoid here.

That said, I think *most*  Modes are useless, in general they ruin sound rather than improve it.

FWIW I participate in Pro Techs Forums, not open to the general public, and an often read story runs somewhat like this:
Customer: -" Hey !!! It sounds GREAT now !!! What did you do to it? "
Honest Tech: -" I returned it to Factory specs" .

J M Fahey

Just checked the V55 schematic you posted.

A VERY good amp,  very much doubt doubt you can "improve" it.

Of course, you can mess its sound easily ;)

You want the best you can get from it?

No need to electronically modify anything, just:

1) plug it into a 2 x 12" loaded with V30 or G12H30 or 4 x 12" loaded with any od those mentioned, *or* Greenbacks or Jensen C12N or MOD 1270 .
All KILLER speakers.

2) put the Master on 10 and leave it there forever.
Raise the clean volume until it just starts crunching and the drive gain so it distorts the power amp as much as you want.

You can add a clean boost pedal for soaring solos.

Enjoy.

mjojo51

Thanks, Maybe this is the wrong site for me as you mentioned. the amps really decent but just looking to get more variety out of the distortion sound cause it sounds pretty much exactly the same, dark gritty tone no matter how you set the pre. post. Which is fine for some stuff but not for everything  I'd have to hear from someone that,s owned this model and felt the same for them to know what i mean and see what they came up with But thanks i'll figure it out in time cause i have other amps till then.

J M Fahey

Dark gritty?
Lift one end of R80 .
Although as suggested earlier maybe you need better speakers .
If possible, try a Celestion V30 , a very forward sounding speaker.

mjojo51

I tried at7 and au7 in v1 and it smooths out the distortion and this works well for me with out screwing around with the pc board solder joints and trying numerous cap and resistor values.  I'm not into shredding or metal but more classic, southern rock, blues rock tones and this gets it closer to what i'm looking for. Thanks