Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 31, 2020, 11:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Author Topic: My K-20X  (Read 10176 times)

joecool85

• SSGuitar Admin
  • Legendary
  • Chip Points: 988
  • SSG Creator
    • View Profile
    • thatraymond.com
Re: My K-20X
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »
I've finally done it.  I added reverb to the K-20X.  I chose to do a digital reverb based on the Accutronics/Belton "brick."  The PCB I chose to use is from 1776 Effects, the Rub-a-dub reverb.  All other parts were sourced from SmallBear and I used the short delay Belton brick.  I think next time I might use the mid or long though...or the model 3 so you can adjust length.  The decay is a little faster than I would like, but still sounds pretty good.

While in there I also added a speaker kill switch so that I can turn the amp on and off without pops or noises.  No gut shots, but the power for the brick comes from an LM7809 drawing power from the positive leg of the stock power section.  There aren't any holes for standoffs on the PCB, so it is attached to the enclosure with a zip tie and foam between the board and the enclosure for electrical insulation.

Also not shown (and happened after these two pictures), the line out and speaker out jack have been changed to insulated plastic type jacks as the reverb brought out an issue I had made back in 2005 when I added those two jacks - a ground loop!  All fixed now and working better than ever.  I honestly never noticed it before since it was so subtle, but the reverb made it pretty obnoxious.

I like that I put the knob on the back - hidden reverb   8|
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:41:37 PM by joecool85 »
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

galaxiex

• Legendary
  • Chip Points: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »
That's pretty cool, Joe...  :cheesy:

Where in the amp circuit did you put the reverb?

I assume at the front end since it's a stompbox type circuit?

Gut shots would be great.  8)
If it ain’t broke I’ll fix it until it is.

joecool85

• SSGuitar Admin
  • Legendary
  • SSG Creator
    • View Profile
    • thatraymond.com
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »
Here it is.

Please bear in mind that this looks different now as this was a test fitment.  The wires in this picture were connected to either end of R11 (one end lifted).  I have since removed R11 and now connect on the bottom side of the PCB to help with noise.  I have also added star grounding and replaced the metal speaker and line out jacks with insulated plastic types.

The schematic attached to the first post in this thread shows were I connected in.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:55:32 AM by joecool85 »
thatraymond.com

galaxiex

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
Here it is.

Please bear in mind that this looks different now as this was a test fitment.  The wires in this picture were connected to either end of R11 (one end lifted).  I have since removed R11 and now connect on the bottom side of the PCB to help with noise.  I have also added star grounding and replaced the metal speaker and line out jacks with insulated plastic types.

The schematic attached to the first post in this thread shows were I connected in.

Thanks for the gut shot, but I don't see the schematic attachment?

joecool85

• SSGuitar Admin
  • Legendary
  • SSG Creator
    • View Profile
    • thatraymond.com
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
The schematic is on page 1, first post, last attachment: https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=3403.msg25231#msg25231
thatraymond.com

galaxiex

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
Ohhh, DUH!

I didn't see we are on the second page!  ::)

Bill Moore

• Regular
  • Chip Points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
Now I'll have to try that!
I gave my first little amp away, but last year a fellow wanted to trade a "practice amp" for a pedal I had. I was surprised when he showed up with another Dean Markley. One of the pots had the shaft pulled loose, and after searching for a replacement. I ended up repairing the original. Speaker is a little rough, but at low volume it isn't noticeable.
Now reverb?

joecool85

• SSGuitar Admin
  • Legendary
  • SSG Creator
    • View Profile
    • thatraymond.com
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 08:08:13 PM »
Now I'll have to try that!
I gave my first little amp away, but last year a fellow wanted to trade a "practice amp" for a pedal I had. I was surprised when he showed up with another Dean Markley. One of the pots had the shaft pulled loose, and after searching for a replacement. I ended up repairing the original. Speaker is a little rough, but at low volume it isn't noticeable.
Now reverb?

I love it, well worth the time and money.  I think it was $45 or so in parts.  At first I wasn't sure I was sold on the "short" Belton brick, but I really jive with it now.  That said, I've heard clips of the medium and long bricks and they sound great too.  Others have said that the difference between the three is pretty small anyway.  Or, of course, you could go with the "3H" version using the Rub-a-dub Deluxe PCB.  It's an extra $2 and would require 2 more pots.  Other than that it's the same basically and would allow you to control the decay length, and tone of the reverb as well as the normal mix amount.
thatraymond.com