Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Acoustic Lead Guitar Series G100fx Trouble

Started by smokey0325, February 21, 2014, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey0325

Hi, New user here...
So the story is, I recently bought a used Acoustic G100FX from Musicians Friend. When the amp arrived, I plugged into the LOW input jack, played for about 5-10 minutes, and the amp made a loud pop, guitar signal was gone. I cut the amp off, plugged into the HIGH input, tried playing again for about 5-10 minutes... same thing. I read about possible FX loop trouble, so I plugged into the FX return to try bypassing the preamp section. This is the only way I've been able to get the amp to work consistently without dropping the signal. I have a pretty good idea that the problem is in the preamp section, as the amp and speaker still get power after the signal is dropped. I also broke into the amp and checked all the fuzes to make sure, they all checked out. Anyone ever have anything similar happen, or have any idea of where to go next in the troubleshooting process?

Roly

Welcome smokey0325.

Try plugging a known good lead between Fx Send and Fx Return.  If this restores correct operation then the most likely cause is dirt on the bridging contacts on the Fx sockets.  The normal cure is a shot of contact cleaner (or metho) and working a plug in and out a few times to scrub the contacts.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.