Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Spider iii - To be or not to be

Started by DrGonz78, December 12, 2013, 05:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGonz78

Well I finally did it... I always said I am not gonna buy one of those ever! But... I did, oops. So, it was like ten bucks and I only bought it for parts etc. The main preamp logic board has a blown resistor and there is probably a good reason why. So I don't plan on fixing the logic board. Now I see a guy selling replacement boards on Ebay for this logic board and I am guessing that 1 in 10 of the lot he has are good, maybe all of them are bad. It's a Line 6 210 amp.

Well my reason for posting this is to ask if it is feasible to build some sort of preamp for this amp. Looks like plenty of room to put something in the chassis. I hate not trying to fix something, but I don't think those replacements boards are reliable if they are even working. The power amp is stereo out and I guess I would need to figure out how to send it signal. I mean without getting into too many more details. Does this sound like a feasible idea for fun? The power amp looks like it just receives analog signals and no digital. Anyone try this before?

Added: Also if anyone has a 35-00-0308 rev.D  Line 6 Amplifier Logic Board that is the part I would need to fix this thing.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

g1

Any idea what the resistor goes to?  Looks like some regulators on that board?  Also some jacks?  You've probably checked for a simple problem, but this schematic may be close:
http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/23732d1370622849-spider-iii-1508-3012-hd75.pdf
  I would think most of those amps blow the power amp and get gutted, so the boards could be good, on the other hand it would depend on whether the seller was parting out amps or came across a pile of junked defective boards, in which case they could ALL be bad.

DrGonz78

The resistor goes right over to a leg of a 5.5v line on a regulator. Yeah I have looked at every spider iii circuit schematic online, close but not the one. Yeah there is no 5.5vDC anything on that schematic and on that one it is entirely a 3.3v for the logic board. So maybe I take a $20 gamble to see if I can fix the amp and order the replacement board. I hate not fixing an amp and I find it hard to just strip an amp for parts. To make a Frankenamp, well that sounds kinda fun and educational.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Roly

Quote from: DrGonz78I hate not fixing an amp and I find it hard to just strip an amp for parts. To make a Frankenamp, well that sounds kinda fun and educational.

Know just how you feel, and the "parts" normally aren't worth the effort anyway - but a "Frankenamp" sound like fun.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.