Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Who sells pots the PCB support brackets?

Started by mark, May 25, 2013, 02:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

Hi

I'm fixing a Torque T100K amp. It is working, but the pots are shot.

In fact one of the treble pots can stop the audio dead in it's tracks. I tried spraying the pots with DeOxit, but I suspect the pots are beyond it.

The pots are about 18 to 20 mm wide.

Mark

Enzo

You sure they are not 16mm pots, with the extra mm or two due to the brackets?

make a value list and a description of the shaft and bushing.  Then see if you can find the parts in Fender or other company who uses similar.

You probably don;t need to have the brackets.  Does each control have a nut on the bushing to tighten it to the panel?  If so, you can get away without th bracket.  In fact, you might be able to take plain pots, unbend the tabs, take the brackets off your old pots and add them to the new.

Some amps use the brackets to carry a ground bus across the amp.  Look at the four bracket mount holes.  Are there traces from them to somewhere?  If that is needed, a piece of wire will do it.

And check the solder under those pots.  Cracked solder is not rare, and can act like a bad pot.

J M Fahey

Agree and add: being in Argentina I have *no* access to original pots, but standard unbracketed 16mm ones.
Usually not a problem, specially if only replacing a couple in a preamp PCB which still has 8 others to support it.
But if I *need* the bracket, I improvise it.  :o
I use a regular 16mm pot, but I scratch or wirebrush its sides where the bracket would have been spot soldered, apply a solder blob there, and run 2 rigid wires, in an inverted "V" shape to the original PCB bracket holes.
It works like a charm.

I use 0.8mm brass wire which is quite strong.
If you don't want to buy 1 or 2 lbs from a metals dealer (they usually have some "minimum order") , you can buy (beg/exchange for a cigarette or a beer or a smile) a foot or two from your friendly local "artisan" Hippie, they use brass wire to make "Jewelry" and such.
Sometimes they have "alpaca" ("german silver") wire which is even better.
Just wipe it shiny with steel wool or emery cloth before soldering.

Enzo

A hobby store should have brass rod in small amounts.