Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Spider II (2) 112 Guitar Amp Combo

Started by lliw, August 10, 2006, 05:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lliw

Hey, im looking at a 2nd hand Line 6 Spider II (2) 112 Guitar Amp Combo, 75 W I think.

Has anybody had any experiance with these?

Ive played one once and it sounded pretty good, I only need it for pratice.

I dont have time to build an amp atm.

Can you still run effects peadles through these amps? i think they are all digital???? would that make any diffrence?

ildar

I've had some experience with a 1st generation Spyder. The 2nd guitarist in a previous band had one, it wasn't horrible. AFAIK, the new ones sound better and are louder.
They are all digital, and running pedals in front of them is a crapshoot. Some digital amps love pedals, some don't.  If there's an effects loop, running certain pedals in the loop should work ok.

lliw

Thanks mate, im a bit unsure about buying one 2nd hand, if it stuffs up i have no waranty, they would be pretty pricey to fix?

teemuk

I guess all modern amps have become pretty pricey to fix. Most of the repair shops refuse to work without a schematic and only way to acquire one is from the manufacturer - which in most cases is not so willing to share one to public/small repair shops. If the repair shop has to order spare boards (which is getting to be the most common way to fix things nowadays - even the simple stuff) the repair will get very expensive. I remember reading that Line6 replacement boards tended to cost almost as much as the whole amp as new, which is quite insane. Digital and SMD stuff is pretty impossible to fix and only shops under warranty service contract seem to be willing to touch that stuff. Yeah, they probably will order a spare board and charge you accordingly. If you can find a tinkerer who is willing to fix the circuit in the old fashioned way then in my opinion he should charge you well from such professionality. The way I see it is that the reparing business isn't very economical any more - especially when you deal with marginal stuff such as guitar amps.

ildar

Quote from: teemuk on August 10, 2006, 09:29:33 AM
The way I see it is that the reparing business isn't very economical any more - especially when you deal with marginal stuff such as guitar amps.

Especially when you consider the relatively low cost of some items. If you can buy a brand new Line 6 for, say $300, would you want to spend $200 to fix an old one?

lliw

Yea thanks fellas, Im in Australia The guy has it on ebay for $510 and the RRP is $800

I think i will just buy a new one, probbaly not worth the risk.

lliw

Hmm do they have many problems with these amps?

im still thinking of getting it...hmm