Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:33:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

What exactly is this little component?

Started by ouchmyappendix, November 18, 2011, 02:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouchmyappendix

I went to replace a bad volume pot on a Peavey combo amp and noticed this little guy near it (see pics) was ugly and corroded.   I wanted, for the heck of it, to replace it along with the pot, but I have no idea what I'm shopping for.  I'm guessing it's a little capacitor of some sort;

phatt

Likely a 10nF Capacitor.

10 is the value,,, 2 is the multiplier. 

it takes a while to work out the numbering but after a while it becomes second nature. Winky.

Phil.

tonyharker

ouchmyappendix

You guys are awesome!!!   :dbtu:  Now it's all coming together - Googling '1nF axial lead capacitor'  is finally giving me some usable results.  So are the markings in the 3'rd photo (KHJ 735) just a manufacturer's catalog/part number or something? 

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!   

phatt

Quote from: tonyharker on November 18, 2011, 04:43:12 AM
1 nf surely.  10 + 2 0s = 1000 or 1000pf

Whoops,,, OK you got me .
I was never good at adding up :-[
But hey sounds like *ouchy* has got the idea,, so all's well.
I have no doubt that the resistor colour codes along with other codes are floating around the net somewhere.
Phil.

phatt

Quote from: ouchmyappendix on November 18, 2011, 05:32:34 AM
You guys are awesome!!!   :dbtu:  Now it's all coming together - Googling '1nF axial lead capacitor'  is finally giving me some usable results.  So are the markings in the 3'rd photo (KHJ 735) just a manufacturer's catalog/part number or something? 

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!   

You got the idea,, Yep don't panic about all the other stuff.
Just be aware that there are many differing codes around and it will at some point get confusing.
Some caps actually write the Value straight. i.e. 1,000p or 1nF but mostly you find the Value then multiplier Code.
The pF, nF, uF is just moving the decimal point,, as in the above example.

phil.

J M Fahey

It´s certainly not burnt, but one of its legs and one of the potentiometer "wings" look corroded.
Probably a rat peed on it and no, I´m not joking, it happens. >:(
In amps stored for some time in deposits or cellars, you often find far worse rat products than pee, if you catch my drift.
The 735 code is most probably a date code, as in year 2007 (or even 1997) ; Week 35 (around September).

ouchmyappendix

lol @ rat piss!  I wouldn't doubt it.   The amp was sitting in a storage shed with FL. humidity (ewwf) for the last few years.  I'm surprised it works at all.   The only issue was the clean channel was at a fixed volume and turning that pot did nothing.    Also, Good call on the date code.  That seems probable.

@ phil - I'm sure this won't be the last time I'm tripped up, but very thankful that I have one extra bit of knowledge in the ol' brain case.  I was curious about the uF, nF, pF stuff. Thx for clarifying :]

EDIT: 

I found some but it seems I need to know the voltage and tolerance?? 

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/A102J15C0GF5TAA/1010PHTR-ND/145936

Would that^, for example, be a suitable replacement?

joecool85

I'd imagine the 50v rated one you linked to should be fine.  Even power caps don't have to be that highly rated on many amps (frequently +/-30v for instance).
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

Yep Go with Joe's advice :tu:

judging by the place on the board it just part of the tone circuit and the voltages are not massive. So not an issue.
Phil.

mojah

Peavey service dept. is pretty good at emailing schematics of their older products. It will have a board layout too. It's nice to have the print if you discover other problems. Just send them your amp info with S/N. The other guys have pointed you in the right direction for that cap.