Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

reasons for choosing ss amps

Started by kuvash, November 03, 2011, 05:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuvash

Hi,I'm new here,though not new to guitars and amps.My first amp was a Fender Champ and I spent a fair amount of tine on a Twin Reverb. At this stage of my life however,I just want to play my guitars and I really do like my three ss amps.Not a lot of hassel or messing around and they can go anywhere,take a lot of abuse and don't break the bank.I have changed to a better speaker on one of them and italso handles effects well. And the ss acoustic amp is great also.I also have a modelling amp with onb board effects and tuner and it does about everything that I want in an amp.I really only have to please myself.......do ya think I'm crazy?

kuvash

J M Fahey

Amen Brother.
You are in good company here.

Enzo

You like what you like, you don't have to justify it to anyone.

joecool85

Nothing wrong with that at all, kuvash.  Welcome to the board!   8|
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RIS

Well Kuvash, saw your post, and decided to speak up. I've been kind of waiting around in the background the last few months, and reading a lot of posts, and following links. Hello, everyone! I'm Johan Rismoen (ris), from Seattle, Wa. Got my 1st guitar and amp from Sears for $49.00 in 1967 (yep, Silvertones), and have owned quite a few of both since. Mostly s.s. amps, I currently have 4. About a dozen guitars, 2 under construction. I certainly share everyone heres interest in s.s. amps, and have been using some of the tips I've gotten here. Seems I can't keep my hands off anything, always gotta "have a peek inside". Way I see it, a few mods or upgrades can add up to some major improvements. Usually time consuming things the manufacturers don't do to cut costs, like shielding, set-up, wrong ohm pots, heat sinks, etc. I see that a few of you folk are VERY knowledgeable, would like to get to know you all, I'd like to help out when I can, and maybe ask for a bit of help from time to time.

J M Fahey

OK, welcome.
I´d like to add that for me, SS amps can and do sound very good, you just must do your homework.
They are very versatile, definitely not "one trick ponies" and you can get a ton different and interesting sounds out of them.
The fact that they usually cost less than Tube ones, are lighter and more efficient (cooler) are also important factors.

Jack1962

Tube or Solid State which is better , I hear this question everyday my friend. The amp that is best is the amp you are happy with, that's all that really matters.  :dbtu:

Enzo

Amen brother.

Plug into an amp, turn the knobs.  If it sounds good, then who cares what's inside it?  I don't.