Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Power Attenuation necessary with SS amp?

Started by DCS, November 22, 2011, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCS

Greetings! 

I have a design question.  I've been reading about the importance of chain elements in achieving optimal control over tone.  My understanding of the basic chain:

Guitar
Equalization control 1 (pickup selection, EQ pedal, etc)
Effects & Preamp
Equalization control 2 (EQ pedal or tone stack on the power amp)
Power Amp
Power Attenuation
Equalization control 3 (speaker selection, or EQ controls on the attenuator)
Speaker.

In traditional tube amps, the purpose of the Power Attenuator is to allow the user to ensure tube saturation regardless of volume level, because tube saturation contributes to the full range of tone.

My question: does this same concept exist in chip amps?  In other words, is there any benefit to a power attenuator downstream from a SS power amp?  Is there such a thing as "importance of chip saturation?"   ???

Thanks!

armstrom

There are always exceptions, but the "standard" formula for a SS amp does not involve power amp clipping (rather, it tries to avoid it). So you really don't need an attenuator. Just turn down the master volume.
-Matt

J M Fahey

Yes, it´s basicaqlly that, try to avoid power amp distortion.

Fact is, it *does* affect final sound, but in an opposite way.
Tubes on "10" distort but maintain clarity, definition, "teeth", or increase them= good.
SS power amp distortion, on the contrary, usually is dull and lifeless , *but* in certain cases it can be put to good effect:
*if* your preamp distortion is ice picky or mosquito buzzy, raising the Master Volume until the power amp just starts clipping *a little* , it can tame the mosquito.
One famous example is Dimebag Darrel: he always said that the SS Randalls he used were too buzzy at low power, and he raised the Master Volume until it sounded "right", with for him was using them set to "7" on a scale 0 to 10.
He called it "my magic number"
On a larger venue he added amps, and in smaller ones used only 1 , but always on 7.