Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Those good ole amps from highschool

Started by dovedescending, November 16, 2010, 11:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovedescending

Being entirely dissatisfied with my current amplifier (don't even ask), I'm looking for a replacement with some actual wattage. I had a vague memory that I used to lust after a Crate GFX 65 back in highschool (that was only 7-8 years ago, but seems like forever), and lo and behold, they are going for below $100 used.

My memory is fuzzy, and I can't quite remember which solid-state amps were hip and groovy in the late 90's, early 2000's. What contemporaries of the Crate GFX series do you remember, or think are particularly noteworthy?

Enzo

Really?  Two hours, and you are bumping this?

Frankly most amps of any era are not noteworthy, only a few stand out.

Look at Peavey Bandits.  They have been making one form of Bandit or another for many years now, VERY popular amp.  And later models were their "Transtube" circuits, which sound pretty good.

A solid state amp I always liked was the Fender Princeton Stereeo Chorus.

R.G.

Standout amps from high school days?
:)

Sure. Thomas Vox Super Beatle. Kustom 200 tuck and roll. Acoustic 150 with the six tens cabinet.

J M Fahey

Hi granny !!!  ;D
dovedesc was in high school seven/eight years ago !!!
The earliest President he remembers is Clinton !!
Not only can't he place any of those amps, he will not know even by name world-famous bands (in their day) who played them !!!!
(That is, unless the latest POD or Guitar Rig includes their digital simulation).
See you in the WW2 Veterans club.
Tell them that today I'll arrive a little late, my Nurse has yet to give me my weekly sponge bath, cough ! cough !. :lmao: :lmao:

rowdy_riemer

I like you JM. You remind me that 35 isn't so old after all.  ;D

gbono

Quote(That is, unless the latest POD or Guitar Rig includes their digital simulation).
hey JM is that a new product? Acoustic 150 simulation - I bet guitar center would love that ;)

bry melvin

my amp from high school was a Princeton reverb and Super Reverb. I did rent Sunns for bigger venues. FWIW I was 17 at Woodstock :D

I Rember wanting to try the Acoustics...the Doors were using them.

J M Fahey

Speaking of that, I remember drooling over that famous picture where The Doors were playing the ¿Greek Theatre? and it seemed that every Acoustic on Earth was there.
Funny thing is, I learnt it only a couple years ago, they were personal friends with one of the Acoustic owners and that day, he personally carried *every* amp in the factory, cabinets, whatever, even non working still unfinished stuff , and placed it on that stage.
That great picture worked wonders for both parts involved.
Good for them, I love *good* marketing.

Jack1962

Well from my high school day's , they did make solid state device's  :lmao:

Check out the mosvalve it's a great amp or the Lab L5

Rock On

gbono

you want to see vintage Acoustic kit in action get a copy of Wattstax - good music too.  8) 8)

rowdy_riemer

Back in high school, I played bass in a country music band (*can't believe I'm admitting that, I hate modern country music now*). A friend bought an  old Ampeg SVT head with an 8x10 cab from a school auction, and sold it to me for what he paid for it, $40. It worked great for me for a while and finally died. The output transformer was toast (not my diagnosis). At the time, I knew very damn little about vacuum tubes or even basic electronics, and didn't know the OT could fry if the amp was on without the speaker cab plugged in. I'm guessing that's what I did. I ended up GIVING THE SVT HEAD AWAY :duh . I don't even remember what happened to the cab. Knowing I could fix it if I still had it, and seeing what they go for on ebay today makes me very sad. :'(

gbono

Mmmm let's see what I let go in the 60's and 70's:63' Gibson ES175, 63' Fender Strat, 66' Super Reverb w JBLs, 1959 Martin 0018, etc. I had a guitar teacher who had an in at Fender and loaned me demo gear that came back from the "artists" of the time. To busy trying to build my chops to think about buying or collecting.