Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hello! :)

Started by GuitarLord66, July 07, 2010, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarLord66

Hi!  :)

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself, My name is Dylan, I'm 17 and I live on the Gold Coast, Australia.
I have been playing guitar for 6 - 7 years now and I have been playing around with electronics since I was a child.
I'm in a forming band, which is finally starting to get together now we have enough members.

I own the following equipment: -

LTD kh-202 electric guitar
Peavey Bandit 112 combo amplifier
TC Electronics G Major multi effects rack unit
BOSS MT-2 metalzone distortion pedal
AKG wireless transmitter/receiver
US-122 Audio/Midi usb interface

I'm extremely interested in building my own amps and effects and I strive to become an electrician.

I have joined this forum because I want to learn how to build amps, I play mainly metal so I want to eventually build a high gain preamp and a clean preamp, or just a preamp with 2 channels? and a power-amp as well, once I can afford a 4x4 speaker cab. I would like to build solid state just for the fact that tubes don't interest me, needing to replace them everything 6 - 12 months and them being fragile just seems annoying to me and I also really REALLY dislike tube snobs... tubes seem so outdated?

So really, all in all, I'm asking where should I start?

DJPhil

Welcome :)

Getting started is the hard part. I hope you like reading! Use and abuse every resource you can get your hands on via the internet. I've just started back into electronics myself last October and I still have a monster reading list to go through. In particular, this forum is the proud home of Teemuk's Book, which might be a bit heavy if you're just in to electronics but I'd call required reading for anyone making their own amp from scratch.

When you get ready to build something, I'd start small. Most seem to begin with pedal effects, and this is a great way to learn the basics in relative safety (from electrocution anyway) and still have something neat to show for it. Runoffgroove has a page with heaps of pedal effects, sound samples, and build details.

Hope that helps some :)

GuitarLord66

Yeah I enjoy reading as long as its interesting, I cant stand fiction... I always have to learn something from it :)
I've built coilguns before, which for those who don't know what they are require large amounts of energy stored in capacitors. So I'm pretty good with high voltages, after being shocked numerous times though... haha

So I will have a read, I have a lot to learn now :) thanks again :)