Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Frontman 65R reverb tank question

Started by whiskeytown, June 07, 2010, 04:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeytown

Hi everyone, just got a Fender Frontman 65 R realy nice sounding ss amp, and is there any mods to replace the small accutronics reverb tank to some decent biger reverb tank?!

phatt

Hi wiskeytown,

The Rev Mojo (Or lack thereoff) is to be found in the circuitry, *Not the Tank*.

Finding a better Reverb circuit will be a lot easier and more rewarding that trying to match a Different tank to existing circuit.

You would be well advised to search for an outboard reveb setup instead of trying to mod existing setup.
Have fun, Phil

whiskeytown

Ok Phil thnx dude :)

Enzo

I fairness, I don't think the little short 8 series reverb pans sound as good as the larger ones, which will drop in their place electrically.  Only issue would be whether there is room inside the cabinet for the larger pan. 

phatt

Hi Enzo,
          Appreciate the input but my answer was based on the high likelihood that the owner is chasing a ***MUCH MUCH MUCH better Reverb*** and unknowingly assumes that the *TANK itself* is where the mojo (Killer tank slapping) reverb comes from.

Sadly this is Not the case. :'(

A Big tank Will/maybe/if your lucky
(and the imp of both ends matches, cross your fingers) :-*

Now even if he is that lucky,,,,then some improvement/difference will no doubt be heard.

But sadly no killer tank slapping reverb will be forthcoming. :'(

I, just like Wiskytown once thought that it can't be that hard to get a better reverb sound.  Well didn't I have a lot to learn.
10 Years latter and a very very long story
I have a *Stand Alone Tank slapping Reverb Unit* that I built myself.

Those little *current drive opamp* tricks used in 90% of SS Amps (and a lot of Tube Amps) these days are just so dead pan (pun) gutless when compared to a pro unit.

All the same if wiskytown finds a cheap bargin tank and want's to swap it then go for it, he could get lucky but outlaying for a brand new unit is likely money wasted.

Wiskeytown, FWIW, The digital ones do a fine job but still no tank slap
(BTW, impossible to do with digital teck)

It is very hard to replicate the signature sound of a well thought out Tank Rev unit.
You can purchase *Dedicated Stand alone Analog tank units* and these will always work better than combo mounted units as the vibration issue is ever present inside the back of a speaker cab.
Cheers guys, Phil.

bry melvin

There is a kit out to turn an epiphone valve JR into s standalone reverb (1 12ax7 and one el84)  You can get junior chassis on Ebay for about 50$.

This is probably the cheapest and easiest to build

sound.westhost.com  (elliot) has an SS reverb project.

The V JR project is probably very similar to my Vintage Guild amp (built in seperate reverb  amp  12ax7 and 6bm8 CTS 8" speaker)  That is a really nice California/surf sound reverb

J M Fahey

Well, Phatt himself has an *incredible* reverb driving circuit (search around in this forum) which absolutely smashes the reverb drive into submission, it sounds HUGE.
Of course, instead of the puny +/- 15V, 5mA (max) cheap op amp used nowadays by EVERYBODY,  he slams them with +/- 35V, and 1 A transistors, no wonder he has *too much* reverb.
Give it some of your time, you´ll find it very well spent.

phatt

Quote from: bry melvin on June 08, 2010, 03:56:33 PM
There is a kit out to turn an epiphone valve JR into s standalone reverb (1 12ax7 and one el84)  You can get junior chassis on Ebay for about 50$.

This is probably the cheapest and easiest to build

sound.westhost.com  (elliot) has an SS reverb project.

The V JR project is probably very similar to my Vintage Guild amp (built in seperate reverb  amp  12ax7 and 6bm8 CTS 8" speaker)  That is a really nice California/surf sound reverb

Hello bry melvin,
                     Yes the ESP circuit does indeed work.  :tu:
I should know that as my *Maxiverb* unit is loosely based on his ideas.

I had quite a few conversations with Rod about it all and it's likely my interest prompted his addition of the *Booster circuit* that he added to his Reverb page.

I could not get enough drive to make mine work so in My Circuit I used a much higher voltage to run the booster and that makes all the difference.

most of the cirtcuits on the net are crap,,, believe me I've built most of them.

ESP circuit at least works straight up no mods. Stick it together on a bread board and instant reverb.
most of the others are either noisey or just plain gutless.

And what is really frightening is the *Recommended circuits* at *Accutronics site*
Are just plain useless. I kid you not.

As to running a Valve circuit,,, Well It's a toss up really as the cost will inhibit progress. (unless you already have a pile of Valve stuff lying around)
a SS version may work out cheaper. ;)
Mine is a bit tricky to build because you still need a fair voltage,, i.e. 35-0-35 and 15-0-15 VDC to run it but still probably cheaper to build than an all Valve unit. :tu:
Cheers, Phil.

phatt

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 08, 2010, 11:22:36 PM
Well, Phatt himself has an *incredible* reverb driving circuit (search around in this forum) which absolutely smashes the reverb drive into submission, it sounds HUGE.
Of course, instead of the puny +/- 15V, 5mA (max) cheap op amp used nowadays by EVERYBODY,  he slams them with +/- 35V, and 1 A transistors, no wonder he has *too much* reverb.
Give it some of your time, you´ll find it very well spent.

Thanks JMF ,, you are so kind 0:)
Yes I know I've got *TO MUCH* reverb,, ,but hey I wanted to scare those *Valve Nerds* into submission  :trouble that you can get great sound from SS gear and I truely believe My * Maxiverb* is as good as a Valve driven reverb unit. :lmao: :lmao:
Phil.