Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Converting audio amp to guitar amp

Started by Vitrolin, April 06, 2010, 04:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitrolin

hi i have a audio poweramp that i would like to convert into a guitar power amp and add a preamp, maybe tube based.
well the amp right now is a Yamaha A-320 the transistors are: SK A1104 and SK C2579, i have found a datasheet on the last one its a NPN, my guess is that the first i PNP and its push-pull amp.
i was thinking that maybe its that simple as to put a preamp before the volumepot, would be nice but propably not.
so... has any onemade a similar convertion or might have an idea that would be usefull.

phatt

Do you want to gut this thing to build a complete amp from scrap or do you just want a preamp that plugs into an aux input?
Phil.

J M Fahey

Quotemaybe its that simple as to put a preamp before the volumepot,
Something like that.
Mount and wire some jack into both Left and Right volume pots , I assume the amp is salvaged from the trash bin or something like that and not used for Hi Fi anymore.
Do not mess with tubes yet, search the Forum for simple preamp ideas.
There's some info on using an LM386 as preamp, which would drive either a small speaker on its own or your Yamaha to neighbourhood upsetting levels.

Vitrolin

Quote from: phatt on April 07, 2010, 12:35:44 AM
Do you want to gut this thing to build a complete amp from scrap or do you just want a preamp that plugs into an aux input?
Phil.

well i havent yet decided whether it should be a rebuild or an add on but in terms of preamp would there be alot of difference?
I imagine that if i wanted a preamp for the aux input then there should be some buffer thing since i imagine its low impedance compared to a guitars

Quote from: J M Fahey on April 07, 2010, 09:07:43 AM
Quotemaybe its that simple as to put a preamp before the volumepot,
Something like that.
Mount and wire some jack into both Left and Right volume pots , I assume the amp is salvaged from the trash bin or something like that and not used for Hi Fi anymore.
Do not mess with tubes yet, search the Forum for simple preamp ideas.
There's some info on using an LM386 as preamp, which would drive either a small speaker on its own or your Yamaha to neighbourhood upsetting levels.

i have made tube based stop boxes before so its no new and i am aware of the dangers asocieted to the high voltages used.
its a 180 watts/8 ohm so upsetting the neighbourhood is a guaranty

phatt

Hi Vitrolin,
            Well the aux input will except a line level (or there abouts) and as most preamp circuits often output close to *line level* then it's all matched for you.(close enough)
In general it's only the first stage that needs the high input.

In Valve circuits things can go wonky at interstage places because the signal is often taken from the plate,, unless you employ a cathode follower for low output imp it will be a mismatch.
With a SS opamp circuit the signal out is going to be low imp.

The general rule of thumb in regard to joining multipule stages is they should have high input and low output, the other way round will have net loss.

As to *which preamp circuit* well pick one of the hundreds that exist.
Depends what kind of music you want to play and want you want to achieve.

If you are heading towards a *Seperate preamp unit/box* then at least if you don't like the preamp you can just keep making new circuits until you are happy with the result otherwise you will have holes drilled all over the Yamaha and it won't look pretty.

If you wish to try one of my simple *Well Tested* circuits for a start then go here.  http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1136.0

Also Brouse these pages for many more circuits that may deliver the sound you are chasing.
If you want to go crazy with Valve circuits then download the Messa V Twin schematic. Probably one of the better designs that intergrates Valves and Opamps in the same circuit. You only need to build the clean channel and you won't need all the add on cabsim/ line stuff.
I have built a cut down version so I know how well it works.

If you are fussy about tone then I recommend purchasing a small proto board which makes it quick and easy to setup many different circuits until you are happy with what you hear. You also learn a lot more that way.
After close to 30 years of messing with circuits
(I have a bottom draw full of, seemed like a good idea at the time circuit failures to prove it)

I Now use a very modular setup which did not break the $budget$ and pulls some great guitar tones.
signal runs thus;
Tone box > Distortion control unit (exotic fuzz box)> GraphicEQ > PowerAmp > speaker.

My Laney Amp is just a 3 channel *Keyboard Amp* so it's closer to a flat hifi poweramp. (definitly not a guitar amp)
Which proves that by careful selection of preamp setups you can pull some very conviving guitar sounds.
Don't forget to find a decent guitar speaker, try and test drive them before commiting.

With just volume, bass and treble controls on all 3 channels the Laney would be similar in response to your HiFi power amp. Assuming you run the signal into the line input, which should give you access to the onboard tone controls.

If it interests you I will post some circuits for you to play around with.
Meantime if you wish to hear what my elchepo setup can do go here;
http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1446.0

Oh and a pic of my rig might give you ideas as to how to approach it.
Have fun with it all, Phil.

Vitrolin

So.. basicly i could just put any preamp infront and just use the aux or cd or tape or whatever input... well propably not tho phono input.

if i insist on the tubepre i should then make a buffer at the output so that imp will be low.

well thanks alot for your help...

pd the sound clip in your link cant be found

Vitrolin

by the way... it says to be an 180 w amp 8~16 ohm speakers i guess 180 w a 8 ohms but would this per channel or total? any sugestions? just to get the speakers right dont want to blow em..

phatt

Quote from: Vitrolin on April 08, 2010, 05:34:40 PM
So.. basicly i could just put any preamp infront and just use the aux or cd or tape or whatever input... well propably not tho phono input.

if i insist on the tubepre i should then make a buffer at the output so that imp will be low.

well thanks alot for your help...

pd the sound clip in your link cant be found

Hi again, I'll quote you,

"So.. basicly i could just put any preamp infront and just use the aux or
cd or tape or whatever input... well propably not tho phono input."

>(YES !
I can't promise the earth but there is a very good chance that all will
be ok. (with Aux ok , you will have to suck it 'n see with the other inputs)
NO! don't use the phono circuit,, as they a special circuit to match
magnetic cartrides used for Vinyl records.)<

" if i insist on the tubepre i should then make a buffer at the output so
that imp will be low."

>( Just take a good look at The VTwin circuit and note that the output is
from an opamp so the issue is resolved)<

"well thanks alot for your help...
pd the sound clip in your link cant be found"

>( oh bummer:(  
Ever since this site had an attack A lot of stuff has
gone missing. My computer went down also and I've lost a lot of stuff I'll see what I
can drag up from the bkups.)<

BTW,
The Graphic EQ in the picture is a HiFi Elcheapo S/hand device I picked
up at a gararge sale for $8.  Who says you can't get great sound from
bit's of junk. :)  
Phil.

phatt

180 Watts per channel is probably optomitic,, but if it's very heavy
(due to massive transformer) then could be so.

More likely to be 180 Watt *Total* or 90 Watts per channel.
So that 90 Watts into 8 Ohms will be 65-ish Watts into 16 ohms.
Still above average for a HiFiAmp.

If you use a stereo efx processor then you can run the stereo out to both channels and that would rattle the windows I'm sure. :)
Phil.

Vitrolin

thanks alot ....again
repetitive questions are only to be shure that ive understood it right

Quote from: phatt on April 09, 2010, 06:47:43 AM
180 Watts per channel is probably optomitic,, but if it's very heavy
(due to massive transformer) then could be so.

More likely to be 180 Watt *Total* or 90 Watts per channel.
So that 90 Watts into 8 Ohms will be 65-ish Watts into 16 ohms.
Still above average for a HiFiAmp.

If you use a stereo efx processor then you can run the stereo out to both channels and that would rattle the windows I'm sure. :)
Phil.

90-70 thats some where around what i thought since it doesnt say watts per channel but i better thought better get a second opinion on it.

about the stereo thing i already thought about it with a dual preamp, one for each power amp with some jack switch thing, example, if only input 1 is used it drives both preamps 1 and 2, but if somethings only conected to input 2 it would only drive preamp 2, if both inputs are used they would each drive their own preamp. preamp 1 would go to left poweramp and preamp 2 would go to right poweramp. or maybe just a flip switch for mono/stereo mode (one preamp driving both power amps or two preamps driving seperate power amp, still dual preamp).

....and yes windows will rattle and neighbours will be annoiyed

this have project has gone a bit on hold due to prblems financing the speakers. :$

J M Fahey

Just some curiosity: where does it claim "180W", close to the power cord ot to the speaker outputs?

Vitrolin

Quote from: J M Fahey on April 09, 2010, 11:40:57 PM
Just some curiosity: where does it claim "180W", close to the power cord ot to the speaker outputs?

well i cant remember and im not near it at the time but i found this:

Yamaha budget amp
Natural Sound Systems Ltd., Unit 7, Greycaine Road, Watford WD24SB have announced a new budget amplifier. The Yamaha A-320 (8995) has kept costs down (and possibly improved overall quality) by omitting tone controls and filters. Separate Left and Right volume controls combine the functions of gain control and balance, but are friction ganged to work together as required. The amplifier is rated at 30 watts-per-channel into 8 ohms, with a claimed &apos;dynamic power&apos; of 50 watts into 8, 4 or 2 ohms

here
http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/April%201985/122/851895/

but i dont think its around the speaker connection...havent thought about it before you mentioned it

i wonder how to understand the power rating...dynamic power???? same at 2, 4 and 8 ohm

J M Fahey

Truth is: 30W RMS per channel into 8 ohms; loud enough.
Happy with 2 x 10" or 12" guitar speakers, one on each channel.
Those 180W must be the power socket rating then.

phatt

Quote from Vitrolin;
"i wonder how to understand the power rating...dynamic power? same at 2, 4 and 8 ohm"

Just don't wonder,,, it won't make sense anyway :)
Stick to X amout of watts RMS into a load of 8 Ohms as that keeps everything in perspective.

Hi JM Fahey,,
LOL, Trust you to read between the lines and pick the possible mistake,, good call. wink.
Phil.

Bassbuddy

Hi

May be a useful tip. I did it this way for my bass guitar amp.
I took a stereo PA amp, which you might consider a 'HIFI' amp. I built a preamplifier with the same width as the PA amp. I built both components in a wooden housing the same way as in a 19" flight case. The box forms a very good protection an can be made as nice as you wish. All cabling between the Pre- and Poweramp can be hidden in the back of the cabinet. It also makes it possible to experiment with different preamps, install effects and so on.
I am very content about this solution.
GG