Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:06:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help Design a Peavey Rage 158 Based Amplifier

Started by SECONDandBOWERY, May 18, 2006, 11:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SECONDandBOWERY

Hey Guys!  This is my second post here (my first was about 30 seconds ago).  I own a Peavey Rage 158 and I absolutely love it.  It sounds perfect for the kind of music I play, but it's just not loud enough!  So I figured that I would try to build a Rage 158 but with a more powerful power amp.  Then I said to myself, "If I'm going to build in more power, why not build in an entire second channel?"  So now I'm thinking, two complete Rage 158 preamps (each with a clean volume control, distorted pre-gain, distorted post gain, a switch to choose between clean and distorted on each channel, each with it's own TMB tonestack, and a switch to choose between a vintage or modern countour) running into a much more powerful power amp.  The power amp must retain the original sound, just louder!  So, should I just copy the output stage of the Rage 158 and run two or three or four of those in parallel?  Also, what power supply mods will i have to make?

Here's a link to the schematic (without modern/vintage switch):
http://www.freewebs.com/andrewrovner/Peavey%20Rage%20158.pdf

Thanks in Advance!

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

teemuk

Well, my first suggestion for getting more power would be using a higher power chip from the TDA series since the amp already seems to have one. This definitely also includes changing the power transformer to a proper one; it has to have a higher supply voltage and a higher VA rating. You probably have to redo the whole power supply. Extra bad is that the circuit is single supply, it will undoubtedly cause problems. You shouldn't forget heat sinking either - more power means more iron. Also, if you change the speaker to match up with more power the amp will not have the same tone - even ignoring the speakers frequency response: The power stage runs in mixed-mode (note that feedback path after the speaker) and is very much dominated by the load impedance. Put a new speaker in and the carefully designed circuit becomes... well, not so carefully designed. You have a 50-50 chance of getting a good tone from it.

Taking this path will quite surely mean a complete rebuild and redesign of some parts. The result will not be the same low power amplifier, thus the tone will not be the same either. However, this should be easier than it first seems - at least if you find a high power TDA chip that shares the same pinout and works on single supply. It also could happen that PCB traces are too thin for higher currents and there is insufficient room for a bigger heatsink. Anyway, i'm quite sure that properly done the end result would be far more better than the original circuit though.

Another option is to replicate the power supply and power amp and run the amp in stereo. You have to find a matching speaker though - or at least one that suits you. You could built as many of these as you want, say for example four: That would equal power of 60 watts - which you could get by building only one new power amp and power supply circuit. Probably the same amount of work. I guess parallel configuration wouldwork as well but once again you need a power transformer which is capable for feeding enough power to the amp. Probably you need a higher power speaker too, thus changing the tone. Frankly, i see no point of using two 15 W amps in parallel or in stereo - if this is for loudness reasons just mic the amp or find a more powerful speaker system.

By the way, thanks for the schematic. It's the first "TransTube" amplifier in my collection.  :)

joecool85

I think he meant building a new one, not rebuild his current peavey.  Anyway, the easiest way to get more power out of it would be to build a power amp and just line out from the peavey. 

As far as power supply goes, you'll need to redesign that quite a bit to accomodate more voltage/amps as well as grab a nice large transformer.  Again, it would be easiest to just build a power amp and use the peavey as a pre.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

SECONDandBOWERY

Yeah - I wan't to try and build a completely new amp.  So what would be an easy way to get around 100watts of power that wou'ld still sound similar to this original Peavey?  I'm assuming that using a chipamp or two would work.

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

joecool85

100watts is easily obtainable with a chipamp.  I would recommend using a LM4780 for the poweramp section, this would give you around 100w RMS of power and they are relatively easy to work with.  As far as tone goes, 99% comes from the guitar, preamp and speaker choice.  A good poweramp will not color the sound.
thatraymond.com

teemuk

"A good poweramp will not color the sound."

I have to disagree on this since it's a statement mainly reserved for High Fidelity reproduction of sound, not production that is going on in guitar amps. A good guitar power amp may, or may not, color the sound - depending on how it reacts to the varying load impedance.

I second using the Peavey pre and building a new power amplifier circuit and a matching supply. But there is a but: You want to retain the similar sound of your amplifier, in this case you have to figure out what IS the sound that you like and what makes it: Do you have the "sound" already in the signal that you get from the preamp (I guess you should get a signal out from the CD in jack) or is the speaker and the power amplifier an important factor to it. If you play your guitar "dry" to power amp (from the CD in jack) do you get the "sound" this way instead. (Note that there will most definitely be a terrible impedance mismatch and you should try playing a guitar signal from a tape or computer instead). Is the preamp tone a lesser factor than power amp tone or do they equal. What aspects of the sound you appreciate most.

It might help to point out that all the difference you hear in headphone out vs. speaker is due to either speaker's frequency response or power amplifier reacting with the load impedance. All the difference you hear from the CD in is due to power amp - speaker interaction too. Does the headphone/preamp signal seem to lack bass and highs?

Building a new amplifier will not sound identical, it may sound "similar" though. If you want an easy way to build a high power (100W) amp i suggest you avoid discrete designs. Two parallel chip amps and a rugged supply should be OK but if a huge part of the "sound" lies within the interaction of poweramp and the speaker then you have to match the new and more powerful speaker system to the old. This means at least matching up both resonant frequency and HF roll-off of speakers. Then you probably have to design a mixed-mode power stage that drives your speaker setup properly too, otherwise you will have less effect of speaker's impedance.

I wrote something about this earlier. It might explain what i'm talking about better:

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=75.msg785#msg785

joecool85

Yeah, I guess I should have said that for the most part a poweramp won't color the sound, at least unfavorably.  I've tried lm3886 and lm1875s for poweramps and neither one seemed to shape the sound, some very very minor differences were noticed though and I like the lm1875 a little better.
thatraymond.com

SECONDandBOWERY

Does anyone have a schematic for a LM3886 or LM1875 based power amp?  About what is the maximum output of each chipamp?  Also, how easy is it to make these chip amps distort/clip?

By the way - I finally got a schematic for the version that I have:
http://www.freewebs.com/andrewrovner/Rage%20III%20schematic.pdf

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

joecool85

The schematics are readily available.

LM3886
http://www.national.com/images/pf/LM3886/01183301.pdf

LM1875
http://www.national.com/images/pf/LM1875/00503002.pdf

The LM3886 will give you roughly 68watts and the LM1875 only 30W, of course, this is RMS power.  Roughly double that for peak.

You can actually get kits from chipamp.com for both of those, and if you wait a little while, you can get one from me for free, just pay shipping.  Brian, the guy that runs chipamp.com, is setting me up with some LM3886 and LM1875 kits to distribute here.

**edit**
I listened to your free mp3s on your site, not bad.  Where can I get the Big Band EP?
thatraymond.com

SECONDandBOWERY

joecool85: You can get The Big Bang EP by sending me an e-mail so I can give you my address and then you can send me $6.00 (plus shipping) and I'll send one to you.

So if I ran two LM3886 in parallel I could be pushing 142watts without clipping in the power amp, right?

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

teemuk

Note that the introduction of mixed-mode output to these designs is no rocket science. Just compare the schematics.  :)

Be aware: This circuit is conceptual and i haven't been able to test it in real-life. Simulation shows it works but the real circuit might experience some instability problems - also i suspect the gain might be too high. On the other hand, the introduction of protection diodes and Zobel network might even make it more stabile than the example application circuit.

SECONDandBOWERY

Noobie question - What exactly is meant by "mixed mode"?

Thanks for those schematics!

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

teemuk

Rod Elliott explains it quite well in his article about variable amplifier impedances (http://sound.westhost.com/project56.htm). The following quote is an excerpt from it:

"Voltage drive maintains a constant voltage across the load, while a current drive circuit will produce exactly the same current into the load - in both cases regardless of impedance."

If you think of the quote in a context of gain it makes more sense. If an impedance at certain frequency is R and P=UI we get: P=U^2/R or P=I^2 * R. You see the R is a dominant factor. In the first formula, large R means smaller power and in the second formula large R means higher power - and opposites. Now think what happens in both cases (voltage and current drive) when the speaker impedance might swing anywhere between 1 and 150 ohms - according to the model of course. Here's a link to a datasheet of one Eminence model speaker. Look at the impedance graph, it's a quite good example of any guitar speaker:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/legend-1028k.pdf

If you read the thread i posted a link to (http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=75.msg785#msg785), you already seen the effects of both ways to drive a load: The frequency response of the power amplifier will change from linear a great deal into enhancing bass and treble. Some people regard this as "warm" and "punchy" tone. For high-fidelity systems any colorization is of course a bad thing, but for guitar... well, it's a matter of taste. Mixed-mode drive is just a mix between the two - current and voltage - a compromise between two unideal approaches. If you look at Rod Elliott's article you can see a simple schematic how it is achieved by combining two feedback paths: One for current, one for voltage.

SECONDandBOWERY

Ok - I understand "mixed mode" now.  I'm probably just going to go with a voltage drive circuit.  I drew up a schematic for my concept last night (just the signal path, no power supply, yet).  Is this the propper way to 142 watts out of the power amp?

Click Here For Schematic
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/gotchaguys2/?action-view&current=EntireAmp.jpg
Be warned - the picture is about 1500x573 pixels!  It took alot of room to draw in two completely identical channels.

Comments, corrections, and other observations are greatly appreciated!

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

joecool85

So far it looks good to me, but I just took a quick look.  I'm at my parent's house right now.
thatraymond.com