Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Tonemaster uses digital emulation - but for only one amp model

Started by joecool85, February 03, 2020, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

I think this is a fantastic idea.  Rather than make an amp that does 50 different amp models, and probably only at a mediocre level, the Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb emulates one model only.  It looks and sounds almost identical to the original Deluxe Reverb it is modeled after.  It's also half the price of the actual tube version, as well as half the weight.  I think this is a pretty firm solid state win.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/review-fender-tone-master-deluxe-reverb-1x12-combo
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

flester

Most people probably use only one or two models anyway, even if they have 50. I also wonder if the audience would notice the difference in a stage setting - apart from us guitar nerds who get a front seat just to see the gear!

joecool85

Quote from: flester on February 04, 2020, 03:03:55 AM
Most people probably use only one or two models anyway, even if they have 50. I also wonder if the audience would notice the difference in a stage setting - apart from us guitar nerds who get a front seat just to see the gear!

Honestly I doubt most folks would notice one amp from another, even different companies lol.  You are right abouts the models though, I use 2-3 on my Frontman 25DSP.  Really if there was one killer model, I'd probably use just that one.
thatraymond.com

flester

If it sounds great and is cheaper, lighter and more reliable than a valve amp then why not.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

joecool85

Quote from: flester on February 17, 2020, 05:07:26 AM
If it sounds great and is cheaper, lighter and more reliable than a valve amp then why not.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Exactly!  My one beef with any modeling amps I've tried - they don't take pedals well.  And when I say that, it's really that they don't take boosters/light ODs well when you are using them to push the amp to break up like you might on a tube amp.  They get fizzy/ugly.  If they can fix this issue, I think valves can take a back seat for good!
thatraymond.com

phatt

Hey Joe,
I hazzard a guess that Digi models just have way too much bandwidth,, = Fizz at high gain.
Well that is what my ears tell me every time I have to repair one of those all in one COSM roland pedal gizmos. yuk
I have a crappy digiteck modeling pedal thing here that I got for nothing and it's the same issue.

Years back I went nuts trying to resolve the 20/20 bandwidth on an old Quadraverb. For their day they were top shelf gear.
while trying to record some guitar tracks with it I ended up just inserting a simple ANALOG Marshall cab sim between the quad and deck,,,, huge improvement.
From what I can gather not much has changed.
So as you can probably guess I'm not a fan of modeling setups.
A young lad asked me only last week why can't I get the sound of the great players from years ago?
Answer, TOO MUCH friggin bandwidth in modern amps and gear lad.  8|
Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on February 18, 2020, 08:59:52 AM
Hey Joe,
I hazzard a guess that Digi models just have way too much bandwidth,, = Fizz at high gain.
Well that is what my ears tell me every time I have to repair one of those all in one COSM roland pedal gizmos. yuk
I have a crappy digiteck modeling pedal thing here that I got for nothing and it's the same issue.

Years back I went nuts trying to resolve the 20/20 bandwidth on an old Quadraverb. For their day they were top shelf gear.
while trying to record some guitar tracks with it I ended up just inserting a simple ANALOG Marshall cab sim between the quad and deck,,,, huge improvement.
From what I can gather not much has changed.
So as you can probably guess I'm not a fan of modeling setups.
A young lad asked me only last week why can't I get the sound of the great players from years ago?
Answer, TOO MUCH friggin bandwidth in modern amps and gear lad.  8|
Phil.

That doesn't seem insurmountable though as an engineering feat.  Here's hoping that they figure that out.
thatraymond.com

g1

I'm working on a new pedal for that.  It's called the Degrader.  :cheesy:

phatt

Quote from: g1 on February 18, 2020, 02:16:00 PM
I'm working on a new pedal for that.  It's called the Degrader.  :cheesy:

Good idea,,Keep us posted :tu:

If it helps I've built the cab sim from Marshall JTM 60 schematic, the one I used on the Quadraverb recording I mentioned.
I built a few of those for local muso's. good feedback from them.
I've also built one loosely based on the cab sim from an old Nobels SST1 preamp box.
(looks like a rockman belt pak gizmo)
That is the one built into my pedal board now.

If you want to experiment, I've found some of those old telephone 1/1 Line Isolation Tx's do roll of excess top end, small and only rated to about 3~4khZ.
Some work ok some not so well as they tend to roll off bass too much.
I figure if you found the right one it would work.
Phil.