Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:28:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fane Sovereign 12-200

Started by tca, June 30, 2014, 05:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

Well, we Ozzies and Argies have MANY points in common (as you already noticed ;) ) and one of them is having had quite a reasonable industry backbone.
I am using what remains of ours: factories with some heavy and high quality machinery ... 70's vintage  :(
I stamp speaker parts renting time at small car parts factories, which typically used to have 30 to 60 people working full time and now barely have 3 or 4 "whiteheads" who resist retirement (or illegally keep working after official retirement) churning out whatever they can to get some extra money.
Generally making aftermarket car replacement parts to keep old cars running (you know we also have quite a few Ford Falcons still on the streets :) )
Unfortunately when a machine breaks, sometimes it stays unrepaired :(
Oh well.

phatt

Sorry to hear, Yes you do need a big press to stamp out steel plate.
Your electroplating comment took me back many years and pricked my memory.
Now as far as that cleaning trick goes ,, Why cyanide?

In my early days of Electroplating (first job in fact) We used to fill an old Vat with strong Caustic solution and just reverse the polarity on the probes and leave it for a good hour or so.
This cleans (no make that strips) ALL foreign matter from the surface of the metal before plating.
It also made use of all the old worn out electrodes from the nickel/chrome Vats. 8)
just a thought?
Caustic Soda although still corrosive is a lot safer than Cyanide.  :trouble

Hey with a big enough Vat you could clean all those old Falcon bodies and make them all brand new again.  ;)

Phil.

J M Fahey

You bet. :)
Problem is cyanide was for ages the standard bath and *still* is the benchmark, specially for surface brightness.
Fom one electroplating page:
QuoteThe oldest solutions used sodium cyanide to complex the zinc. There deposits were very good. The brightening addition agents were capable of producing very bright land attractive zinc coatings. There deposits were relatively easy to chromate. Clear bright chromates were possible light yellow and dark yellow chromates provided significant corrosion protection. Zinc plating could support lubricants and were used for fasteners of all sorts. When cyanide solutions lost favor, alkaline non-cyanide solutions were developed