Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Distortion pedal to a SS amp

Started by ricknasty1985, November 27, 2016, 07:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricknasty1985

Hi guys, brand new here and unfortunately brand new to the game. I recently moved into an apartment so you guessed it...

I have an artec distortion pedal that I absolutely love and adore... I used to use it as my gain/distortion in bigger tube heads and now just into an ms2... it's got an organic sound and feel I can't replicate

I was wondering if it's possible to use the distortion pedal as a base for a single channel SS head around 30 watts? Sorry about my complete lack of knowledge here

J M Fahey

Of course: build a good clean guitar preamp such as Rod Elliott´s P27, plus a 30/60W amp using an LM3886 , add a speaker you like, Jensen MOD are killer sounding and reasonably inexpensive or you could get a used 12" guitar speaker pulled from, say, a Fender or Peavey amplifier by somebody who upgraded to a more expensive one; those can be had at Craigslist or similar for $20/30 .
You´ll end up with a good clean combo perfectly suitable for jamming or playing in a Club and you hit it with yor pedal when you want crunch.

ricknasty1985

Ahhhh thanks so much for taking the time, that's a great idea but my problem is I want to eliminate pedals and have just that single channel based on the pedal alone? Is it possible to create an amp based on the pedal?

galaxiex

Sure, why not?  ;)

Ibanez even sells an amp with their Tube Screamer pedal "built in".

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_amp_page16.php?year=2016&cat_id=5&series_id=141&ampl_id=5

Sorry, I guess that doesn't really help you,
but it shows that what you want IS possible.

Integrating the pedal you like into an amp will require some skills tho.
Not a project for a newby.
What's your amp building experience?
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Fossilshark

Ive used my ibanez turbo tube screamer as a preamp to use with a 386 power amp before.

Enzo

Do you have an amp with an FX loop?  If so, plug your pedal into the FX return jack.  That way it only goes through the power amp and speaker - which is exactly what you propose.  You can hear how well it works or not.

J M Fahey

Just curious, WHICH Artec pedal are you talking about?
There´s a ton of them.

ricknasty1985

Thanks Enzo, great idea... I'll do this over the weekend, thanks so much, for the info, I have no building experience at all

galaxiex

Fair enough,

Enzo's suggestion is the best!  8)  :dbtu:

(wish I'd thought of that, seems so obvious now)  :lmao:
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.