Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Simple preamps are ok to me

Started by joecool85, June 11, 2006, 07:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

I'm thinking about doing a simple preamp with a volume and a tone knob.  No EQ stack, just tone.  I think I could do a simple TL071 circuit to do it along with a tone setup from a big muff pi or something.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RDV

You could just do the volume recovery stage and tone from the BMP. I'd suggest a JFET buffer(4 hi imp in) then the Tone/recovery stage.

RDV

SECONDandBOWERY

Check out the 18watt Lite IIb volume/tone controlls.  Very simple and apparently, very effective.

18watt Lite IIb Schematic:
http://www.18watt.com/storage/18wattLite2b.gif

Here's a quote from a boutique builder after I asked him about his thoughts on the 18watt Lite IIb tone controll vs. a TMB:
Quote from: A boutique amp builderI personally don't really like the TMB tonestack. There isn't anything dramatic in its correction I am missing in the one knob tonestack. But that's only me...

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

RDV

joecool85

That's something I wouldn't mind trying right there...
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RDV

Another idea. I'd breadboard 1st though.

RDV

SECONDandBOWERY

Instead of just using the 18watt tone controll with the BMP output stage, i'd actually try to clone the 18watt preamp but just using two Jfets in parallel instead of the two tube triodes in parallel.

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

RDV

Quote from: joecool85 on June 11, 2006, 09:30:36 PM
That's something I wouldn't mind trying right there...
The 18 watter tube? If so... me too!

RDV

RDV

Quote from: SECONDandBOWERY on June 11, 2006, 09:38:14 PM
Instead of just using the 18watt tone controll with the BMP output stage, i'd actually try to clone the 18watt preamp but just using two Jfets in parallel instead of the two tube triodes in parallel.
Be sure and post a schem when you get it working!

RDV

RDV

Quote from: RDV on June 11, 2006, 09:40:29 PM

RDV
You might want to check the Eighteen at Runoffgroove.

RDV

SECONDandBOWERY

Quote from: RDV on June 11, 2006, 10:08:04 PM
Quote from: RDV on June 11, 2006, 09:40:29 PM

RDV
You might want to check the Eighteen at Runoffgroove.

RDV
Yes, I've seen that.  In fact, once I get thru the RAT project and now the LM3886, I think I might try a circuit like a Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb version of their tube inspired Jfet pedals (I have so many circuits I'd like to build, it's rediculous).  But, not to get too off track, my suggestion way to run two Jfets in parallel, and use the Lite IIb tone controll (also found on the tremelo channel of the amp) instead of the regular one.

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy