Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Sparkle boost preamp

Started by joecool85, July 02, 2006, 09:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

I've been doing some searching and apparently the sparke boost has so much boost that it is actually too much sometimes, this sounds perfect for a preamp to me!  Anyone want to try it out?

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18/SPARKLE_BOOST_LAYOUT
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RDV

Expensive FET in that one. The Mini-Booster and derivitives can be good candidates as well.

FETs just have that tubish vibe going for them, on the other hand though circuits built with them never seem completely clean.

RDV

joecool85

Yeah, I was a little worried about how clean it would be.  But on that same note, I hardly ever play completly clean, so for me it doesn't matter a whole lot.  I think I might try this.  If it works well for me I think I might box up a complete LM3886 amp as a combo.

**edit**
1.69 @ jameco, thats not too bad

**edit again**
Noticed jameco isn't in stock, but mouser is for $1.81
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=369162&e_categoryid=131&e_pcodeid=52600
thatraymond.com

joecool85

I'm thinking

Guitar -> BMP tone control/gain stage -> Sparkle Drive as a preamp -> LM3886 -> Speaker

It would be pretty killer and should accept pedals in front of it pretty well I would think.
thatraymond.com

RDV

joecool85

Yeah, I think I might try it later this summer.  No time/money right now.
thatraymond.com

Fixr1984

You could take a j201 and just twist the legs around to get the right pin out. Another of DF's layout the Snakebite calls the that same FET and I used a 201 and it worked out great.