Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

It's 2020, and Germanium Fuzz pedals still sound awesome

Started by joecool85, February 07, 2020, 09:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

It's pretty amazing that germanium transistors are still in existence in modern life.  They are temperamental, difficult to find, large (relatively speaking), and OLD.  Germanium transistors came into existence in the 1950's, but were largely replaced by silicone transistors by the 1960's.  They do still exist even now in certain applications, one of them being guitar fuzz pedals.  Here is a brand new fuzz pedal using germanium in 2020 and it sounds awesome: https://www.gearnews.com/mad-professor-fuzz32-a-very-limited-edition-hand-wired-germanium-fuzz-pedal/
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

Thanks Joe,, Well not my thing and it sounds just like all the other fuzz boxes I've ever heard/Played. Always hated that sound as it just trashes an otherwise good sound.
The kids obviously love em and they are still getting rave reviews. The circuit has been rehashed many times over and it still sounds crap to me  xP
but each to there own opinion. :tu:
Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on February 08, 2020, 02:40:16 AM
Thanks Joe,, Well not my thing and it sounds just like all the other fuzz boxes I've ever heard/Played. Always hated that sound as it just trashes an otherwise good sound.
The kids obviously love em and they are still getting rave reviews. The circuit has been rehashed many times over and it still sounds crap to me  xP
but each to there own opinion. :tu:
Phil.

Honestly not really my thing either. I see fuzz as a great pedal for solo/lead guitar and I prefer playing rhythm where fuzz just gets muddy. That said, I love hearing a rocking solo with a good bit of fuzz going!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com