Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Where to start?

Started by Gremlin, December 18, 2014, 12:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

Quote from: Gremlin on January 05, 2015, 11:17:40 AM
Thanks guys,  It is getting 22.4 volts at the input if my memory serves me correctly. I have pulled the regulator out of the board and will throw a couple rc battery packs in series for 24 volt input and check it to see if it's  good or toast. Then will go from there.
What for?

You already have 22.4 volts at the input  which is perfect.

Your problem is at the  regulator or load, not missing input voltage.

Ane even if it were so, solve that first.

Gremlin

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 06, 2015, 10:04:03 AM
What for?
"2) the regulator itself might be bad

3) there might be a short in the +15V line which pulls voltage down and kills the regulator.

As Enzo once said, shorted Op Amps generally short + to -, meaning they equally compromise both sides, but in a few cases they might short to ground.

With amp off and suspect regulator removed, measure continuity/resistance from the suspect +15V rail to ground.

Use various scales, at least the 2k one, the 200r one and the diode test one, both ways."

Since it was out of the board just to check and see if the regulator was actually bad or not. I know it doesn't rule out that there may be a problem further on that caused it to be non functional and will continue checking per your instructions.

The harder I try the behinder I get

Gremlin

Got the regulator in and all is working well :dbtu: Thanks all for the help
The harder I try the behinder I get