Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Champion Blinking Power Light

Started by brash1952, July 04, 2015, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brash1952

I'm very new to amp repair so bear with me. I purchased a non-working Fender Champion 100, it would not power on at all. I found it had a blown fuse on the pre-amp board, so I soldered in a new fuse, it blew immediately when I plugged it in and powered it. I then saw it had a visibly burned out bridge rectifier and two surface mount capacitors. I replaced the rectifier and capacitors. It at least doesn't blow the fuse when I turn it on now, but all I get is a blinking power light, nothing else seems to power on. Any thoughts?

Enzo

get the schematic from Fender or other source, then either post it or link to it so we can assist. 

First step is to verify all power supply voltages are present and getting to the circuits.

J M Fahey

I think (may be wrong)  that it's a version of their very popular FM212 but with digital effects, so preamp will be different but power amp and supply (which can't be software emulated ;) )  should be about the same.

And your problem hints at a failing/intermittent power supply.

Unless they went all the way and are using an SMPS  :o

In that case, the blinking Led might indicate an SMPS trying to start and failing, maybe because of a shorted load :(

Oh well.

nosaj

Is this it?
http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary/champion-100/product-2330400.html
Quick search turns up no schematic you may have to directly call them for one.

Thanks,
nosaj

brash1952

Thanks, for your responses and suggestions. I do have the schematic - I got it from Fender. I will post it soon.
Thanks Again!

brash1952

I have attached the schematic. I have replaced B300,C358, and C359. Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Enzo

Well, this might be functionally equivalent, but this amp is nothing like an FM212R

I think Juan had it, your amp has an SMPS, and it is overloaded and so cycles off and on trying to start.

In my experience, this usually means either a shorted power amp, or shorted rectifiers on the secondary side of the SMPS.  You have the four pairs of rectifiers in the SMPS, check them all for shorts.  Those are on page 2.  See the table of component differences at the bottom of the page?  Just above it is the 8v supply, so check D306,307 for shorts.  And of course any of those supplies could have a shorted filter cap.  Basically, are any of those supply rails shorted to ground?

If those check out, my first suspects will be U400 on page 3.

Obviously other things could be wrong.

J M Fahey

OUCH !!!!!!!
How can I call this?

*  Death of Analog?

* I've seen the future and don't like it?

* Forget Servicing (except the most basic type?)

* Disposable amp? (even the analog FM100 was in the DNR list, can't imagine this one isn't)

* I feel obsolete :(

* All of the above.

Oh well, I guess I'll sell everything, buy a little land (that can't be emulated ... yet) and sell soybeans to the Chinese.  :'(

DrGonz78

As Rod Sterling said "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace". I am pretty sure he was not talking about that amp though...
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

J M Fahey

Not the first household item which becomes unrepairable, not because of Technical problems (basically anything can be repaired, even a burnt match) but for Economic ones, it's simply not worth it.

Excellent FM212 went for $199 ... how much this one sell for?

I shudder at the actual Factory cost, wherever that Factory is located.

Enzo

Fm212 is a re[place only, I think this one sels for about $300.

brash1952

Yeah, I think the MSRP is $329. I just had rotator cuff surgery, so I haven't messed with it.

cowasaki

I know this is an old post but I have the same issue.....

I bought a Champion 100 and it worked well at his house.  When I plugged it in at my house there was a bang/flash and it is dead.  On checking the power board the same fuse, rectifier and capacitors have blown.

I can't find a schematic and cannot get the value of capacitors C356 & C358.

Worst case scenario is it becomes a 2x12 cab for my valve amp but I would obviously like to get it working!   

Jazz P Bass

"I can't find a schematic and cannot get the value of capacitors C356 & C358."

https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3805.0;attach=5777

C356 & C358 are .015/ 600V capacitors.

If the power supply cycles on & off that means it is trying to start but something is preventing it from doing so.
Typically, a short on the secondary side will do that.

By the way, this is a Switch Mode Power Supply.
If you have no experience with these it is in your best interest to take it too someone who does.