Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Mechanical connections - pots, jacks etc

Started by joecool85, February 16, 2011, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Do you guys do anything special when attaching a pot to an enclosure?  I normally clip the "tab" so I don't have to drill two holes per pot, then hold it still from the back and put the nut on pretty tight from the front.  I've been thinking about selling some effects pedals and want to make sure that the pots don't come undone (board mounted to the pots, so it could cause damage).  I'm thinking about putting a knurled (toothed) washer between the pot and the enclosure the using a dab of blue loctite (the stuff made for being able to remove nuts later, and it recommends 2-3 drops for a 1/4" - 3/4" shaft).  Sound like a plan?

Do you guys do anything special?  Do you leave the tabs on your pots?  What about jacks?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

I glue *all* nuts and screwed parts; as in ALL.
I use a very weak (on metal) adhesive.
It's the old standard, now practically obsolete nitrocellulose adhesive, the one which was used to build balsa wood model planes, very similar to transparent nail polish.
In fact, I just buy a can of uncolored nitro car pain "base", the one which comes with the can only 3/4 full because you must add a few spoonfuls of the approppriate colour pigment , depending on car brand and model.
I leave the can open for a couple days, until it becomes somewhat thicker, then load it in an approppriate squirting plastic bottle.
You have to keep a nail on the tube end because is develops a "skin" in a couple minutes.
Or, for a small amount, just use the Loctite equivalent.
The idea is to protect the union from vibration, but a slightly increased torque will break the adhesive and let it free.
Or you can just use the Loctite equivalent.
I put a *very* small drop on the thread, barely touch it with the tube tip.
If the pot is board mounted, that's enough; if it's free and only wires connect it tothe board, I make a small ring in the pot front, around the neck, on the surface that will meet the front panel.
I've repaired thausands of pots which got free, not enough to drop to the floor, but to twist the wires to death.
Same with jacks.
On metal screws I also put a small drop on threads, or a larger one on the head or nut.
Later I'll post some pictures.
PS: cut all pot tabs.

Enzo

yes yes yes use a tooth washer behind the panel.  You can snip off or bend flat the tab.   Or bite the bullet and drill the one extra hole per.  To me, when I see the locator hole next to the pot, I think of it as attention to detail.

And Loctite on the threads too.  Get the right Loctite, they make some that is "permanent" and some meant to be removable.  You want the remiovable kind.

joecool85

Quote from: Enzo on February 16, 2011, 09:03:49 PM
yes yes yes use a tooth washer behind the panel.  You can snip off or bend flat the tab.   Or bite the bullet and drill the one extra hole per.  To me, when I see the locator hole next to the pot, I think of it as attention to detail.

And Loctite on the threads too.  Get the right Loctite, they make some that is "permanent" and some meant to be removable.  You want the remiovable kind.

You want the blue formula loctite, it is the removeable type.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

Thanks.  That is one of those things I just cannot remember.  You can tell me, but in a week, if you ask, I will have forgotten.   SOme things just won;t stick in my head.

J M Fahey

QuoteSOme things just won;t stick in my head.
Well, you can try .......
LOCTITE !!!!!! ;D ;D Sorry, couldn't resist !!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: