Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Caps Pulling up Skirts

Started by ToadMeister, May 10, 2017, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToadMeister

Oh these axial ladies, always laying on their side.

Do I have a couple hot ones?

I have a few smaller size capacitors in my ~40yr old amp and the problem with them is the lamination, or plastic skirt on them appears to have slid down by a few mm's.
Almost the appearance on one end like puckering up lips, with a raised skirt on the other end.

These caps seem bad, but then again, it's only a tease.

Anyone familiar with this?
If things didn't break, we wouldn't learn how to fix them or know how they work, and things wouldn't get made for us to fix.
And there'd nothing to break.

galaxiex

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

ToadMeister

Was thinking just that, but duty, the cruel master beckons. (have to go to work shortly)

Will try to do that later after work if I can find my card reader.
(found it)
If things didn't break, we wouldn't learn how to fix them or know how they work, and things wouldn't get made for us to fix.

Enzo

Caps are aluminum cans, with a thin shrink plastic sleeve on which to print stuff.  Heat in the environment over time shrinks the plastic sleeve, so it withdraws like gums from bad teeth.  it is not necessarily a sign of failure.

ToadMeister

It doesn't really look serious, other than the plastic skin has moved slightly on a few of them..