Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help me add a footswitch to my 12W Orange combo

Started by ozzu2000, November 28, 2011, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

The metallic pedal case must be connected to the board ground, which is also the ground lug at the input and output jacks, so it works as a shield.
Google "Faraday cage" to understand how it works.

ozzu2000

I thought that by leaving the case not connected to the ground I would avoid it functioning as an antenna. Seems that is the other way around :)
Edit: now that I think about it, that's the whole purpose of the shielded cable isn't it? ;)

Isn't there some situation where it's best to keep the case ungrounded? I recall reading somewhere about isolating the ground from the case :P

ozzu2000

Update:
Case grounded, noise problem solved!!!! Thank Fahey!!  :dbtu:

On another subject, i thought I needed to have my amp on clean setting and the distortion dialed on  the pedal only (I though that the overdrive setting on the amp would be added to the one on the pedal), but I just realized the when the pedal is on I can increase the overdrive on the amp knob and the sound doesn't change (head scratch). This way, instead of having only clean and distortion, I can have a bit of chunch dialed on the amp (instead of clean), and when the pedal is on I get the pedal's usual distortion.
I guess this happens for all pedals, but as I've never owned one I just learned this now ;)

phatt

Quote from: ozzu2000 on December 20, 2011, 07:33:51 AM
Update:
Case grounded, noise problem solved!!!! Thank Fahey!!  :dbtu:

On another subject, i thought I needed to have my amp on clean setting and the distortion dialed on  the pedal only (I though that the overdrive setting on the amp would be added to the one on the pedal), but I just realized the when the pedal is on I can increase the overdrive on the amp knob and the sound doesn't change (head scratch). This way, instead of having only clean and distortion, I can have a bit of chunch dialed on the amp (instead of clean), and when the pedal is on I get the pedal's usual distortion.
I guess this happens for all pedals, but as I've never owned one I just learned this now ;)

Hi ozzu,
Regards to solid wire,
                            Easier to work with but bear in mind it's also more prone to breaking.
A lot of early Valve stuff was solid wire, point to point.

In this case it's already built and looks like it will give years of trouble free service.
But just thought I'd mention that long unsupported solid wire can be a problem with high vibration.

Re distortion ?? Not quite sure what you mean?

The pedal will add distortion on the signal which is then added to whichever channel is engaged on the amp.

Depending on a whole lot of ifs buts and maybes?? It is possible that the distortion may not change much when you engage the amps OD channel.

If that is what you mean? My first guess would be the signal output from the pedal circuit maybe smaller than pedal bypassed.

Some pedal circuits can indeed add much distortion but in doing so loose signal strength.
This can lead to some frustration when jumping between different inputs.

Some Brand name Amps have issues like this with inbuilt OD/distortion where the OD setting is lower in volume that the clean setting. Obviously an oversight in the research department LOL.

And the BIG ONE,,, Try very hard to avoid using Guitar Amps with UN-Grounded power outlets. :grr

Electric guitar is one of the rare situations where the Ground on the Amp is directly coupled to the ground on the Amplifier.
With No earth IF the Amp has a catastrophic failure You could DIE. :duh

Tis very hard to read safety warnings if you are not Alive. 8|

Phil.

ozzu2000

Quote from: phatt on December 20, 2011, 09:52:00 AM
Tis very hard to read safety warnings if you are not Alive.

Ahahah, nice one ;)

On the distortion:
"Depending on a whole lot of ifs buts and maybes?? It is possible that the distortion may not change much when you engage the amps OD channel."
That's it.

But I see it as a good thing! Means I can dial a bit of OD on the AMP so I get a little crunch when the pedal is bypassed, and then have the pedal's distortion when I engage it.
(I thought I had to always set the amp to clean in order to use the distortion pedal).

It's like having 2 channels and being able to control OD on each one of them, instead of only having the clean channel and the overdrive channel :)

But like I said, this must be common knowledge to anyone who has used pedals ;)

phatt

(quote)
Electric guitar is one of the rare situations where the Ground on the Amp is directly coupled to the ground on the Amplifier.
With No earth IF the Amp has a catastrophic failure You could DIE. :duh

Tis very hard to read safety warnings if you are not Alive. 8|

Phil.
Whoops!!! :-[
What I meant to say wuz,,,,,
Electric guitar is one of the rare situations where the ground on the *Guitar* is directly connected to the ground on the the Amplifier and hence mains Ground.
Phil.
----

ozzu2000

Samples, as promised :)
Recorded though a korg dsp, with compressor and cabinet simulator only.
Dsp connected directly to computer mic input :P
Sample 1: gain at 25%
Sample 2: gain at 50%

The samples are only a few badly played chords, I am a beginner, so no wining about bad skills ;)

gain1.MP3 - 0.40MB
gain2.MP3 - 0.39MB

J M Fahey