Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help me add a footswitch to my 12W Orange combo

Started by ozzu2000, November 28, 2011, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzu2000

Hi!

My small practice amp is an orange crush 12w (CR12L), and although I like it's sound, it lacks a footswitch, or even an overdrive on/off button.
So started thinking about a way to add a footswitch to it.

This amp only has one channel, so the pedal would have to do 2 things:
- Enable the overdrive (clipping stage)
- Lower the master volume a bit (to avoid that when the overdrive is on, the volume getting much louder as well)

The footswitch would activate a relay, and the relay would then connect or disconnect the bits on the circuit.

Any ideas on how I could accomplish this?
If anyone has a schematic for this amp it would help a lot as I cant seem to find it anywhere (I guess the CR10 will be the same).

J M Fahey

If I had it on my bench, maybe in an hour, with good light and my best glasses I might draw its schematic on a piece of paper ... but I don´t, and don´t have any idea as to its schematic.
It shouldn´t be something too complex .. but that alone doesn´t solve the problem. :(
I think your best bet would be, since you are already comitted to build a footswitch, its case, wire it, etc. , go all the way, add a small board and build an actual external distortion pedal.
Why? Because your amp doesn´t really have "a distortion circuit" (which could be switchable) but an extra gain stage which overdrives the regular preamp.
Most expensive parts are the "mechanicals"  (case, switches, etc.) I´ve just mentioned; the actual stamp size board with an LM741 and a few parts costs less than U$ 5.
Get the "MXR Distortion+" project at GGG , maybe also in some other sites.
If you don´t want to mess with PCBs, google the Veroboard/stripboard version.

teemuk

True. It's hard to say anything meaningful without seeing the schematic. Run a forum search on Orange Crush 15 and see if the two circuits have anything in common. If yes, you should be pretty clear on modifications needed to include an overdrive switch.

Even sketching out the schematic and layout of what's where shouldn't take too much time. You need to do something akin to it anyway if you're going to wander into introducing modifications.

All in all, an external distortion box might be an easier solution but of course its not the same as utilizing whats already in your amp.

ozzu2000

J M Fahey: Thanks for the idea, that MXR  seems actually similar to the overdrive circuit on my amp (there's a dual opamp and two clipping diodes).

Teemuk: I've looked into that cr15 schematic, and it looks very diferent from what I have. I guess the clipping circuit on the first opamp is the same as what I have.

The idea was to keep the original circuit of the amp, but it might not be worth the effort. I guess I'm thinking about this just as a fun project ;)

joecool85

Quote from: ozzu2000 on November 28, 2011, 04:07:54 PM
The idea was to keep the original circuit of the amp, but it might not be worth the effort. I guess I'm thinking about this just as a fun project ;)

In that case, do what JM suggested and try to draw out the schematic by studying your PCB.  Include some good photos of the "guts" of the amp.  Between the pics and drawn out schematic, we should be able to help you.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

ozzu2000

I'll try to make a schematic, it's take some time because this amp is dificult to gain access to the lower part of the pcb (I have to desassemble 6 buttons and 2 jacks in order to remove it from the metal panel).
I'll post photos as soon as I can :)

teemuk

If you plan to mod it you'd likely need to access the solder side anyway, so what's the big deal?

ozzu2000

Well, I'll have to dismantle it, draw the circuit, hopefully get any ideas on how to mod it, then order the components, and only then mod it. All this takes time, and as I only have this amp I wouldn't have any amp in the mean time ;)

Think I'll try to build the MXR distortion + as suggested by Fahey, or maybe just a simple booster could do the trick :)

joecool85

Quote from: ozzu2000 on December 05, 2011, 06:16:10 AM
Well, I'll have to dismantle it, draw the circuit, hopefully get any ideas on how to mod it, then order the components, and only then mod it. All this takes time, and as I only have this amp I wouldn't have any amp in the mean time ;)

Think I'll try to build the MXR distortion + as suggested by Fahey, or maybe just a simple booster could do the trick :)

Keep it super simple and build my 5th Gear Overdrive: http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=11.0
thatraymond.com

ozzu2000

Done, built a Thor pedal from RoG :)
Can use it as a clean boost with the set close to minimum, or I can dial it up higher and have some nice overdrive :)

It's my first diy pedal :)

Pics:

J M Fahey

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks GOOD!
Congratulations!
Very professional.
It´s quite more complex than what I had suggested, but since it came out well, fine.
Now we deserve some MP3s.

phatt

Plus 1 from Me,, very tidy work inside. :tu:

But the outside is a bit bland?

If it helps I print Labels straight to normal paper from the ink Jet printer >> Then I spray them with clear Car lacquer >> When dry I just use double sided tape.
Bingo instant Pro looking Water proof Labels.

The Tape is super fine pressure sensitive tape ,, Office supplies should have it.
Comes out looking like this.
Phil.

ozzu2000

to J M Fahey: I'll see what I can do about the samples, I'm at the very begining of guitar playing eheh, my guitar playing skills are far worse than my electronics skills ;)

to Phatt: I'll try that, I'm just a bit too lazy at the moment, and just the thought of having to remove all the knob nuts demotes me from doing it ;)

I hope to post something new soon  :tu:

joecool85

Wow, that's the best looking "first try" I've ever seen!  MUCH better than my first try...heck, the wiring looks more pro than what I do now!
thatraymond.com

ozzu2000

Those are single core wires, I cut them to correct measure, and bent all the corners before soldering. I did this for all the wires except the ones that connect directly to the electronic board, you can notice that these are not as sharply bent ;) these ones have a guessed length and were first soldered to board, then board put into place, then wires bent and soldered.

I only have one question about pedal. Should the ground be connected to the case?
When I use my amp connected to a grounded outlet everything sounds fine with minimal noise, but if I use an ungrounded electrical outlet, the pedal induces lots of noise :P could this be eliminated if I ground the case together with the guitar ground? (black wires on the photos above)